Thursday 14 October 2010

Chapter 3 - June 14th 2010 – Ashton Heights – Arlington VA.

CHAPTER 3
June 14th 2010 – Ashton Heights – Arlington VA.




"Miss, miss, can you hear me?”

I could vaguely make out a bright light shifting from one eye to the next, my shoulder being forcefully shaken. I groaned at the sensation as my head moved. I could taste blood down the back of my throat, UGH!

"She's coming round, no visible signs of concussion or bodily trauma other than the broken nose.”

Everything was fuzzy; I could make out shapes, the ground felt hard beneath me, how long had I been out?

"Angela?" I whimpered

"Is that your friend miss? She's in bad shape, but we'll have her fixed up in no time. You're lucky, when the truck exploded outside your condo, it's a miracle the whole place didn't go with it." The voice continued.

"huh?”

"We're going to move you to Virginia Hospital Center, you're friend will be there too, stay calm miss and this will take no time, you're going to be fine." He said.

"Hey Tyler can you bring the gurney in once you see the other lady out with Eric.”

"Sure thing Mike." The other EMT shrugged.

"Now then miss, I really can't keep calling you that, you have a name?" he smiled at me.

"Bel, Bella" I mumbled, it really did hurt to move my head even the tiniest amount.

"Ok Bella, I'm Mike, you have a broken nose, my initial observations don't point to any other injuries, can you tell me if anything else hurts?"

"I have a sprained ankle from this afternoon, but other than a woozy head nothing hurts." I replied

"Good good, as a precaution I'm going to put a brace on your neck, they'll likely remove it in the ER, is there anything you need to take with you when we leave?" he continued.

"Um, just my bag, it's the brown messenger bag by the door.”

"Ok Bella, no problem, we'll get you situated on the gurney and get you out of here. The police are going to want to talk to you at some point." He stated.

I groaned, a little out of pain and a little at the thought I was going to need to call this in to the office.

A short drive later we arrived at the ER. The only saving grace was that by coming in an ambulance we avoided the waiting room and went straight to triage. A petit dark haired nurse in pink scrubs helped Mike and Tyler move me from the gurney to a bed. They bid me goodbye, depositing my bag at the bottom of the bed, while the nurse collected a trolley of supplies and returned to the side of the bed. She was a pretty little thing, like a little anime character, short dark hair, big blue eyes and an unnerving amount of energy. She seemed to dance around me.

"Hi! I'm Alice and I'll be your nurse today." She smiled at me, bouncing on the balls of her feet and flicking her pen light over my eyes.

"Bella" I responded gingerly.

"Well no concussion Bella, pupil dilation is tip top, but we need to get your nosed fixed. I'm going to take some blood first, and then I'll get the Doctor to come sort that for you." She trilled in her bird like voice.

I groaned as the throbbing raged from my nose.

"Do you have any allergies Bella?" the little nurse asked, "You look like you could do with some pain meds.”

"Nope, no allergies." I responded.

"What about medications, are you taking anything, are you pregnant?"

"No...nope." I blushed.

"Good good, I'll be right back." She replied, before turning on her heals and darting from the curtained cubicle.

Moments later she returned with a syringe, which she emptied into my arm, before logging onto my chart. The throbbing in my head began to slowly diminish and I began to feel somewhat more lucid.

"Ok Bella, I'm just going to pack this blood off to the lab and the doctor will be along shortly." She stated.

I nodded, closing my eyes briefly.

I was jogged from my thoughts by a light cough, I opened my eyes to be met by a stunningly handsome middle aged Doctor, blonde hair, kind looking blue eyes; he had an air of calm about him. He looked vaguely familiar, the cut of his jaw, his physical stance, I'd seen it somewhere before. I shrugged at my inner musing; I'd never met this Doctor before, despite spending an inordinate amount of time visiting this particular ER over the past 5 years.

"Ah you're awake, I didn't want to disturb you, you looked so peaceful. I'm Dr Carlisle Cullen." He smiled offering me his hand in greeting.

I took it with a smile of my own, but grimaced at the pain from my nose. Dr Cullen smiled kindly at me, checking my chart and taking his own observations.

"So, Miss Swan, you've been in the wars a bit this evening, but your stats are good, your blood is fine and apart from a broken nose and a brief loss of consciousness, you're fighting fit." He stated.

"Bella, please, I'm sure there's no need for pleasantries when we both know you're going to be realigning my nose anytime soon." I replied with a slight smile.

"Quite." He smirked. "Shall we get this over and done with now, so you can go see your friend?" he replied.

I nodded in agreement. He carefully placed his hands either side of my nose, a determined look on his face and a quick nudge and a crunch or two later he stepped back. "There, not even a need for surgery." He smiled. "I'll draw up a prescription for pain meds and get Alice to arrange for you to visit with your friend in a short while. Please if there's anything else, don't hesitate to ask.”

"Thank you," I said, "I really just want to see Angela, and then forget about tonight.”

With that he bid me goodnight before turning on his heel and leaving the cubicle, Alice appeared as he left, whispering in his ear and gesturing to a tall figure in the waiting room. I could just make out a head of bronze hair, before the curtain fell back and blocked my view. Alice stood at the end of my bed smiling, her buoyant enthusiasm and seemingly endless energy mildly addictive in my current state.

"Hi Bella, how are you feeling?" she grinned.

"Good thanks, the Doctor fixed my nose and said you could help me go see my friend." I responded with a smile.

"Sure thing, I think you might want to change first though, so I've borrowed some spare scrubs from the closet for you, I'm afraid it's either that or have your butt hanging out of a gown." She stated joyfully.

I blushed at her kindness, "Oh um thanks, and you really didn't have to."

"Of course not silly, I'm sure you'd rather be clean than wander around all bloodied and looking like you're dressed for Halloween." She trilled happily. "I'll leave you to get changed, and then we'll go see your friend in ICU, just click the call buzzer when you're ready and I'll be right back." She left the cubicle swiftly, dancing like a little fairy down the hall towards the waiting area. I shook my head to clear the fuzziness in my brain, chuckling lightly to myself.

An hour later I entered the ICU, Angela was in a much worse state than me, she'd been brutally beaten; she had a punctured lung from a broken rib that she had endured, 3 broken fingers, and a severe concussion and was in a medically induced coma.  Ben had arrived shortly before me and was camped beside her bedside, looking pale and distraught. He had risen to greet me when I hobbled in, and we both collapsed into each other, sobbing at what had happened.

"I'm afraid I might lose her Bells, what will I do if she doesn't wake up?" he cried.

"Don't think it Ben, don't even dare to think it, Angela is so strong, much stronger than me, we have to believe that she'll wake up, we can't think any other way, you hear me!" I replied through my sobs.

He sat back and looked at me, his handsome face marred by tears and concern. "You look like shit Bells.”

"Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself." I chuckled mirthlessly.

We stayed huddled together for a long hour, clinging to each other in order to stop the inevitable fall out, until Alice re-appeared at the door.

"Sorry to interrupt you guys, Bella, there are some officers who want to talk with you; I can send them away if you like." She gestured to the two tall police officers standing beside the nurses' station.

"It's ok Alice, I have to talk to them some time and I have to make a call to my office too. Is there a phone I can use nearby?"

"Sure, you can use the one at the nurses' station, would you like me to get the officers to wait for you somewhere more um private?”

"Thanks," I said before hugging Ben tightly and standing to leave the room, "I'll be back as soon as I can ok.”

He nodded to me with a slight smile before turning back to Angela. Alice darted ahead of me and spoke to the two officers, directing them to what I presume is a family room or some such, while I went to the nurses' station to call Al.

"Hi, this is Bella Swan, can you patch me through to Al Berty's office please." I spoke clearly.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but Mr Berty's office is currently inactive, all of his calls are being forwarded through the DO's office. May I ask the nature of your call so that I can advise you accordingly?" the abrupt operator stated.

"I work with Mr Berty Miss and I was not aware that he would be out of office for at least another four days. If you could kindly patch me through." I responded firmly.

"I'm sorry ma'am, as I said Mr Berty's office is currently inactive, I'll patch you through to the DO." She responded officiously.

"Hello, Director of Operations office, this is Lauren speaking how may I help you?”

Ugh just my luck, that bloody woman was the bain of my life, if not for the incessant gossip, it was the malicious sneers in the staff lunch hall, she had the mind of a teenager and the attitude of harpy.

"Hi Lauren, this is Bella Swan from Intelligence, I've been trying to call Mr Berty, but have been put through to the DO's office instead. What's going on?" I tried to remain polite, when really I was more frustrated than anything.

"Bella, I'll put you right through, there's been out and out panic here this evening." She responded swiftly.

Hmmm something's wrong. I didn't have time to ponder anything, before I heard the calming twang of Phil Dwyer, Director of Operations on the line.

"Bella, glad to hear you're ok, it's been one hell of a night," he said.

"Yes sir, but what's going on? I've had my car blown up, my roommate almost beaten to death, my nose broken and now I can't get in touch with Mr Berty." I ground out breathlessly.

"Where are you?" He asked, "Virginia Hospital Center, I have two police officers waiting for me in the family room, I presume to ask questions." I responded

"Ok, I'm going to make a call to get rid of them. I want you to stay there until you're collected..." he started

"What the hell is going on?" I yelled down the receiver.

"Bella," his calm voice continued over the phone, "Al Berty was found dead in his apartment this evening, there are no confirmed leads but we have a hunch that this has something to do with the data stream you followed regarding the Volturi.”

I could feel my throat tightening, I gripped the counter for support, my legs felt like lead weights, "Oh god" I stuttered.

"Bella?" He called over the phone, "Yes?" I replied shakily, my breathing laboured, a bead of sweat meandering down my forehead.

"We have a team on site to collect you, we'll have guards posted to your friends room, stay where you are, they'll come to you, your contact is Cullen, understand me, kick up a stink, make some noise if anyone else attempts to take you somewhere.”

"I understand sir, are they bringing me in?" I stammered. I knew it from the moment Al had run to me at lunch, that today was going to be bad, but how bad could this be?

"That's a negative Bella, I'll be in contact once you're on a secure line." He said before hanging up.

I lowered the receiver with shaky hands, expelling a loud breath, my body shaking with a mixture of fear and adrenalin. This couldn't be happening to me, I don't do front line anything, I'm one of the unknown shadows, there's nothing glamorous about intelligence work, hours upon hours spent hunched in my office, trawling over internet traffic, email communications, radio comm. Chatter, cell phone transcripts, in the grand scheme of things I'm a flea bite on a mangy dog.

Alice appeared at my side, looking concerned, "Hey Bella, you ok, you look like you're going to face plant at any given moment.”

I shook my head, tightening my hold on the counter as my legs gave way. "Wooah there," she called as she caught me around the waist and led me to a large chair against the opposite wall.

"Put your head between your legs and take deep breaths, just like that, in and out, you're doing fine Bella.”

My ears were buzzing, my vision was blurring in and out, so I concentrated on her calming voice as she talked me down. She was interrupted by the chime of the ICU door buzzer being wrung from outside, she reassured me that she'd be right back before standing and walking to the cctv monitor and pushing the door release. I felt a light tingling crawl up my back and I noticed a pair of military issue boots appear in my immediate vision. Before looking up I heard some light mutterings between Alice and an unfamiliar voice, followed by a light cough in front of me.

"Miss Swan, I'm Cullen and we're here to collect you." This voice I knew, I'd only left it earlier this afternoon in the parking garage. I guess fate was playing a pretty twisted game with me today.

I looked up to see a concerned pair of brilliant green eyes staring back at me, I could see the hint of shock cross his face before he disguised it with a professional mask. I guess I did look like shit after all. I took a second to glance behind him, the huge bear like guy was stood there eyeing me with equal concern, Alice was engaged with a pretty intense conversation with the skinny blonde guy from earlier, and she seemed to know him.

I groaned and dropped my head in my hands, Alice looked over from her conversation and ran to my side, "You ok?" she asked worriedly.

"I think I'm gonna puke," I mumbled under my breath, my vision dotting, sounds buzzing around me.

She flitted from my side, quickly returning with a kidney dish and a bottle of water.  "Ok Bella, just like before, deep slow breaths. In and out, In and out, there you go, is that any better?”

I nodded to her; I don't think I could say anything right now. The jarhead crouched in front of me, the look of concern etched across his face, god his beautiful, handsome face, I could just lick it, what the fuck?

"You ok there Miss Swan, we have to leave soon, so if there's anything you need to do, it's better you do so now." He stated kindly.

Just then Ben ran from Angela's room shouting, "Nurse, Doctor, anyone help, she's, she's, oh god, the alarms are ringing and I can't lose her, do something, please." I looked up to see his stricken face, pale and distraught. Alice ran to the room, I followed as fast as my sprained ankle would allow, to see her hit the lever on Angela's bed to flatten it out before climbing onto the side and calling for a crash cart. I clung to Ben, as Alice pumped her chest. The Jarhead, Cullen jumped to her side and pumped an ambu bag between Alice's frantic movements. They continued CPR until the doctor and two more nurses arrived and wheeled in the crash cart.

"Charging”

"CLEAR!”

ZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Angela's body rose from the bed and dropped back down.

"Continue CPR." The Doctor called and Alice and Cullen resumed their procedure.

"Charging, CLEAR”

ZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Angela's body rose once more.

Beep, Beep, Beep

"Ok we've got her, good job there people.”

Alice climbed down from the bed ushering me from the room. Cullen followed her. Ben mouthed a thank you to them, before resuming his position at Angela's side. I quickly hugged him good bye, before joining the three soldiers waiting at the nurses' station. Alice said she would be here for the rest of the night and would let us know if there were any changes to Angela's condition. I thanked her for her kindness, before turning to Cullen, who was in quiet discussion with his men.

I coughed lightly from behind them. "I um guess I'm ready to go now." I said quietly.

He nodded, "We'll brief you in full once we're enroute, in the meantime, you'll be with me, Jasper will be taking point and Emmett will be following up the rear. We'll not let anything happen to you. There's some agents stationed in the hall for your friend, so she'll be fine. No matter what I need for you to listen to everything I say, and react accordingly without question, at this moment until we get you into the vehicle, I need you to stick to my side like you've been glued on, can you do that Miss Swan, or would you prefer to have a wheelchair?”

"I can walk Edward," I responded I'm not totally incapable.

He smirked, his cocky grin lighting his eyes, before nodding and gesturing for me to join him for 'a walk'. We left the ICU, Jasper taking up the forward position, ahead of us, Edward lead me, his arm wrapped firmly around my waist holding me tightly against him. I know he was just doing his job, but it felt so intimate being held so close like that. He smelt amazing, I couldn't get attached, he probably had a hot little wife somewhere, he's just doing his job, and once this is all over we'll go our separate ways, never to cross paths again.

We made it to the dark SUV in quick time; Jasper went ahead checking underneath and in any nooks and crannies while we remained just out of sight. Edward holding onto me tightly, Emmett a number of feet back appearing to be oblivious to everything around him, yet no doubt totally tuned in to it. Jasper signalled that all was clear and climbed into the front passenger seat; we followed Edward directing me to climb into the back, where he promptly followed in beside me. Emmett joined us on my other side. One quick glance around and Edward motioned for Jake to get us out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment