Thursday 14 October 2010

Chapter 2 - June 14th 2010 – CIA Headquarters - Mclean VA.

Chapter 2.
June 14th 2010 – CIA Headquarters - Mclean VA.

"Bella!”

I heard the familiar sound of Al Berty calling across the quad, he was running anxiously towards me, his face was red from the exertion and he was jostling a thin file in one hand while trying to push his way towards me.

"Hey Al, what's up?" I looked up at him concerned.

"Bella, I'm so glad I caught you," he eyed me knowingly, I went to respond but he raised his hand to stop me, "That data stream you've been following this morning, there's been a development, you're onto something, something big!" He continued breathlessly.

I hadn't even realised I was holding my breath until it whooshed out of me with such a force that I dropped my sandwich, I really wasn't hungry anymore. I looked at Al, questioning what could be so big that he would actually run to find me. There was really only one thing, Major Terrorist Action.

"It's really that big isn't it Al?" I stated, my voice shaking.

He nodded in response and gestured for me to follow him to the ready room; it's going to be one hell of a long night.

In the 5 years since I'd graduated MIT and joined the Counter Terrorism Analysis unit within the CIA, I'd done pretty well for myself; I'd proven to have a knack for routing out trouble in the most extraordinary places, from white supremacy groups stock piling weapons, to religious fanatics making fertiliser bombs in their basements. I'd cross paths with many of them over the web, but this latest data was my big one, I had used my technological skills to infiltrate a cell, with connections to the Volturi, a violent group, known for having their fingers in all kinds of rotten pies. Terrorist activity it seems is their brand new flavour.

Thirty minutes later we were convened in the ready room with the director of operations, the head of counter terrorism analysis, and various military and other unnamed agencies. I joined Al at the front with the hastily prepared power point presentation and a docket of bulleted information sheets.  And so it began.

"Good evening gentlemen, my name is Alfred Berty, Senior intelligence Analyst, Counter Terrorism branch CIA, this is my colleague Bella Swan, the analyst who uncovered this information.”

I'm glad Al was taking lead on this, I really didn't like standing up and putting it on the line, especially with the information that I was dredging up. I know I'm good, but I'm a background girl, I blend in, hide out and log it all down, I don't sit at the front, I'm an information gatherer. Nerves were getting the better of me, I messed my lip with my teeth, while wringing my hands, if I could be wrong just once, let it be this time.

"We've or should I say Ms Swan has uncovered a plot by a Cell operating on the behalf of the Volturi, she's been tracking a shipment of weapons grade plutonium, which up until this time was scheduled to arrive at San Francisco at 0800 this morning. The ship, Embassy Star arrived, however the shipment did not, and our sources within the Coast guard have reported radar traffic within the vicinity of the ship at the 15 mile marker, which leads us to believe the shipment, was removed prior to docking.”

I sat straight backed beside the laptop in the darkened room, trying to not look intimidated by the amount of testosterone surrounding me. I pondered just what they would do with the information I'd pulled, I worried that I'd read it wrong. No! I know my stuff, I'm not wrong on this!

I was knocked from my musing by a cough from the far side, I couldn't make out who was talking, but I instantly had my hackles up.

"So Ms Swan, what leads you to think that your information is important enough to drag me away from an afternoon off with my family?”

Can this guy be any more of an ass? I mean seriously, I didn't call anyone here, I just did my job, passed it on, and got dragged here when I really wanted to be eating my lunch with my friends.

"With respect sir..." I began

"Master Chief, I work for a living Ms Swan" he interrupted. Ass!

"Well Master Chief, with respect, which I'm sure I have enough to pick up the slack for where you lack, I'm the best at what I do, I gather the Intel, I interpret and then I pass it up the line, I'm only here, because I was ordered to be here, but by all means, do carry on, and when one of those scum bags blows up someone you love, just remember that I could be that person who could've told you how to stop them."

I'd barely stopped talking before my pager started beeping, the shrill tones filling the air as it vibrated on the table in front of me. Of course I blushed in embarrassment before plucking it off the table and eyeing the small LED screen. "shit" I mumbled under my breath, the three numbers I hated to see, 911 appeared before me, damn I only get those when I've picked up something big. Al was still briefing the assembled men in the room, so I jotted the numbers down in front of him, his eye's widened in concern , I shrugged, my lip firmly planted between my teeth as I eyed the room, before glancing back at Al, he nodded minutely, his agreement that I should leave.

With that I picked up my bag, offered an apologetic nod to Al and left the room. I know it's not professional, but I was not going to stand there and take that shit, and I needed to check out the data that caused my pager to buzz my emergency number, I was annoyed, god was I annoyed, no I was pissed, seriously pissed, just where did that guy get off. I stormed to the restroom and slid into the first available cubicle, slamming the door behind me and kicking the sanitary bin.

"Arrrgh! Son of a bitch!”
I sat down in a bid to reign in my anger, clenching and unclenching my fists. I can't believe he got to me, I can't believe I let some jarhead do that to me. I eventually calmed down enough to leave the cubicle, walking to the counter I quickly splashed my face with water and attempted to tame the raged reddened face staring
back at me in the vanity, before heading up to the sanctuary of my office.

That room was my second home, although with the number of hours I've been putting in lately, I'm considering moving in permanently. It was spacious, although the view of air conditioning ducts left much to be desired, and comfortably furnished in deep brown leather and cream carpeting. I'd styled it myself, when I was promoted after I'd cracked the Seattle Vampire Army a seriously weird group of occultists, who rampaged Seattle last summer, robbing blood banks and draining hobo's of all of their bodily fluids, to create a bio weapon. My breakthrough had come by pure fluke, when I was actually on vacation walking home, past the community blood bank near my hotel, I'd snapped a couple of handy shots of a random van that had torn into the parking lot like it's wheels were on fire, before a group of hooded guys jumped out the back and ran in. I called it in, and the Intel gained from them, along with the vehicle records for the van, led back to a small cell of 3, 2 men and 1 woman, we managed to get a French guy called Laurent, but the other 2 got away.

I settled into my desk chair, kicking off my shoes and taking deep breaths. Thankfully, Angela my closest and probably only friend other than Al had left me a fresh sandwich, seeing as I lost mine when I was unfortunately interrupted earlier. I quickly logged into my computer and waited for the alert to load up on the screen, I sat dumbfounded as two familiar faces appeared in front of me. Why the hell hadn't they been picked up before? There on the screen in front of me were immigration alerts for Demetri Volacof and Felix Breshnev. Shit!

They apparently entered the country on separate commercial flights from Florence Italy, what I couldn't understand is why the hell they'd let them in, why do we even bother with watch lists if they're not even going to act on them until after the fact, seriously! I sat fuming at my desk, according to the data Demetri had been ticketed for Seattle while Felix was on a flight to Dulles. Shit that's a bit close to home.

I slumped back in my chair, why would two of the Volturi's most ruthless killers be here in the US? Why Seattle, Why Washington? What is the connection to the Embassy star? Was there a connection to the Embassy Star or am I winding myself up? I sat with my eyes closed, tapping my pencil against my temple, there's got to be a connection to this, not a coincidence, not a coincidence, no such thing. This was getting me no where, I scrubbed my tired eyes, I really need to get some sleep, but I can't leave this, this is important, if I could only connect the dots. I pulled up the files on Demetri and Felix and settled in to read.

Demetri Volacof
29 yrs born Kiev, Russia
Former Russian Military. Dishonorably discharged for theft of explosive material November 2001.
Skills: Demolition expert, particularly explosive armaments,  Chemical and Biological warfare, Guerrilla warfare, medal holding sharp shooter.
Recruited by the Volturi prior to leaving the military, considered very dangerous, noted as primary bomb maker in recent time.


Well shit, that doesn't look good.


Felix Breshnev
27yrs born Moscow, Russia
Former KGB hit man.
VERY DANGEROUS.
Alias: Alexis Dostoyev
Highly proficient in Hand to hand, Stealth, breaking and entering.
Sadistic, likes to torture his mark. Ladies man, predatory in nature.
Joined Volturi along side Demetri Volacof, very close to leadership and highly trusted/feared in the ranks.
Considered the house cleaner, deals with problems with marked efficiency. Noted to be very hot tempered, do not underestimate.

Jesus Christ! Why are they here? I fired off an email to Al, even if I can't figure it out tonight, he'd have as many facts as me and they do say two heads are better than one. I just wish I could figure out what the connection was. I felt drained and all I wanted to do was go home, turn on my stereo and take a long soak in my bath. I decided that's exactly what I was going to do.

Twenty minutes later full from eating my much needed sandwich, I stepped out into the parking garage and headed for my truck. My trusty old pickup, looked like it had had better days, but I would drive it over a new car any day. As I approached I noticed that I was blocked in by a huge black SUV, could my day get any worse? Seriously, this is a designated space parking garage, could they not park somewhere else?!

As I prepared to leave a shitty note on the asshole's windshield, the elevator dinged from behind me and the raucous sounds of laughter and male voices assaulted my ears. I fingered the can of mace that dangled on my keys, while I fumbled with the lock to my truck.

"Dude, I liked her, she was feisty!" said one booming voice

"And hot!" said another

"And that blush when you interrupted her, man I'd love to see what else would make her blush..." followed another.

The footsteps grew closer and the damn lock chose just this moment to stick on me. Why did I get up today?!

"You ok there Miss?" a familiar voice called behind me, as I struggled with the damn door.

I tensed at the sound of it; I don't believe it, Asshole from the meeting, just my damn luck.
I didn't turn, but mumbled in response, "Fine thanks."

I gave it one hard tug, which caught me off guard and sent me flying backwards. A strong pair of arms wrapped around my own to steady me. My bag scattered across the ground, one of my shoes flew under a nearby car and my right ankle buckled painfully under me. "Oww shit, goddammit." I yelled before wincing at the pain in my ankle.

Just kill me now. Tie me up, throw me in the river, I don't care; just put me out of my misery.

"Thank you." I muttered as he released the hold on my arms and stepped back. I still hadn't looked him in the eye and I had no desire to either. I just wanted to get out of there. I stepped forward tentatively on my right foot, almost immediately I stumbled, the pain sending a shock wave up my leg. I bit into my lip as I grabbed the door of my truck to steady myself.

I felt a presence behind me...a fluttering in my stomach, tingles raced up my spine, I held my breath.

"Are you sure you're ok there Miss, you look like you've hurt..." the familiar voice said, almost choking as I turned to face him.

I was met by the most stunning green eyes I had ever seen, I was certain that even my blush was blushing. They confounded me. I shook my head to clear my brain from the dazzling effect they had on me.

"You!" he said

"Hey hey it's little Miss Feisty!" said the booming voice that belonged to the biggest man I had ever seen.

"You dropped your things when you fell." Said green eyes; as he handed me my bag and missing shoe.
I took them from him, nodding my head; my voice had chosen this time to desert me. I can't believe my luck; I really should've called in sick today.

"Miss at least let me look at your foot, you look like you hurt it pretty bad there, I'm a medic, and I wouldn't feel right to leave you without making sure you were fit to leave." He looked at me, imploring with an impish little smirk on his handsome, cocky face.

"I'm fine; I'll just pop into the ER on the way home." I said through gritted teeth.

"And wait for 2 hours for what I can do in 5 minutes." He responded.
I sighed, I really didn't want to spend the rest of the evening in a hospital waiting room, nor did I really want some Jar Head man handling me either.

"Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, I'm Edward." He stated offering me his hand and that impish grin again, before continuing, "The Bear is Emmett, gangly dude is Jake and blondie is Jasper.”
They each nodded at me in turn.

"Bella," I offered taking his hand and nodding at the others, who were watching with rapt fascination.

"Well Bella, may I apologise for how I treated you before, I was having a bad day I guess. I really didn't mean to bust your balls so to speak." He responded the hint of that smirk curling up one side of his lips.

"Um fine." I muttered. I really didn't want to hang around anymore.

"So, let's check out your foot eh, Emmett, get my bag from the truck." He called.

Great, so not only did he call me out in front of everyone, but he'd blocked me in my parking space and embarrassed me into a klutzy meltdown. I mean seriously what else can this guy do to me? I just want to curl up into a ball and forget it all happened. I threw my bag into the cab of my truck and sat sideways in the seat as Edward gently manipulated my ankle, I grimaced as he added a little pressure to the ball of my foot. Show no pain, suck it up and you can get home and break later.

"The good news is I don't think it's broken, but you do have the makings for a nasty sprain," he stated.
I sighed and nodded at him, a little lost for words, he really wasn't as much of a jerk as I thought he was, either that or he has a guilty conscience, yep that must be it. Jar Head with an angel on his shoulder, perfect. He gently dressed my ankle before looking back up to me, why did he have to be such an asshole, a conceited, beautiful, handsome, rugged, gorgeous, bronze, sex haired asshole. I shrugged myself out of my musings; he smirked at me before standing.

"You should take some Tylenol and rest and ice, try to stay off it as much as possible, oh and you really shouldn't drive either." His eyes pierced into my own.

"I'll be fine, thank you; I've had worse and this truck practically drives itself anyhow." I replied closing the door. I've got to get out of here.

He nodded and joined his friends at the SUV, the big one, Emmett, clapped him on the back before they climbed in and peeled out of the parking lot. I turned the key and my truck roared to life, sitting back against the worn leather seat, I breathed out, taking stock of my disastrous day.

A little over 30 minutes later I arrived home, my small condo in Ashton heights was simple but perfect for me, a short drive from Arlington cemetery and Fort Meyer and far enough out of DC for me to feel less like a rat in a tunnel. I put my truck in park and noted that Angela was already home, her Lexus was parked in her usual spot and she'd put the porch light on. I grabbed my bag and hobbled in depositing my keys on the sideboard by the door and my bag to the rack that stood next to it. I could hear the TV in the lounge area and the light was on in the kitchen.

"Ang! I'm home, how about we call for pizza, I really can't be bothered with cooking tonight," I called out while making my way to the lounge area. She didn't respond, that's odd, I know she's home.

"Ang? Did you hear me?" I called, I heard a faint murmur to my left, and I reached for the light switch as I reached the door to the lounge, "Ang why are you sitting in the dark?”

I froze as I met an unfamiliar face, "who are you and how did you get in here?”

He was tall, at least 6 ft, had long blonde hair drawn back into a ponytail, piercing blue eyes, his face scrunched into a snarl, he looked almost feral. Dressed in stone washed blue jeans and a tight fitting black t-shirt, he was built, I mean this guy was seriously built.

"I'd like it if you left please," I stumbled nervously, pointing to the door.

He laughed, a low, menacing laugh, almost like a growl. Are you kidding me, who growls?

"Tut tut Bella is that any way to welcome a guest into your home?" he sneered at me.

I recoiled at his close proximity to me. "What have you done to Angela, why are you here?" I snapped. When did I grow a pair?

"Ah yes, your little friend, she's been most... helpful," he said stroking my cheek.

"DON'T. TOUCH. ME" I glared at him.

He laughed again, before barking out an order to someone I hadn't noticed before to bring Angela out. An equally built red headed woman dragged Angela out from the hallway leading to the bedrooms. They had really done her over, her face was heavily bruised and her eyes so swollen that she could barely open them. She looked terrible, her body crumpled under her own weight and the woman unceremoniously dropped her where she stood. A sadistic grin spread across her face, a malicious glint in her eye as she trained her sights on me. I fisted my hands at my side, the anger building.

"What did you do to her you bitch?" I shouted.

She threw her head back, a loud barking laugh flew from her mouth, before she looked back at me and strode across the room and firmly punched me in the face. I never had time to react before I hit the floor.
The man bent down to me, grabbing my hair so that his face was inches from my own.

"Just a little warning Bella. If you know what's good for you or what's good for your friends." he stated firmly,

"You'll stop looking.”

Blood was flowing freely from my nose, I'm sure it was broken, the smell of rust was getting all too strong and I could feel the beginnings of nausea and a blackout gaining on me. Bright white dots were bursting like stars in front of my eyes. Don't faint; don't faint, not now, not now.

The last thing I registered before I succumbed to numbness was the silhouettes of our attackers leaving, the click of the lock on the front door opening, then nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment