Sunday 30 January 2011

Chapter 10. 21st June 2010 - Volterra Italy.


Chapter 10.

21st June 2010 - Volterra Italy.

It was 11 hours later that the private jet landed in Florence, Demetri sighed happily, he enjoyed the travelling his job entailed, but nothing beat coming home. He smiled at Felix, who had an equally pleased look on his face. It wouldn't be long now before they would be back in Volterra; there was much to tell Aro, however there were still many questions to do with the Swan woman lingering for them to relax just yet. Demetri yawned quietly, before standing from his seat and heading to the back of the plane, the steward was already opening the rear hatch for them to exit as he approached; Demetri thanked him and hopped down the steps, as always a limo was already waiting on the tarmac. With a quick nod to the driver he slipped into the back and waited for Felix and Bella to join him.

A short drive through the Tuscan countryside later, they pulled into the ancient cobbled streets of Volterra, the terracotta coloured buildings clung to the Neolithic city walls, the Limo pulled to a stop in the town square, the clock tower standing like a sentinel watching over them. Felix grinned at Demetri, they were both pleased to be here, even if their company was somewhat an inconvenience. They climbed out of the Limo; Felix bending to lift the still unconscious Bella bridal style and carried her towards a hidden doorway to the Old Medici fortress, the familiar corridors soothed their weary minds, everything felt right here, safe, uncomplicated. They descended further into the building, continually going down to the depths of the ancient fortress, before finally stopping at a large thick, wooden door, Demetri stepped ahead and unlocked it, lighting a brass lantern that swung precariously just inside the small cell. Felix entered behind him and placed Bella gently onto the small wooden bed, before turning and exiting behind his friend.

The two men ascended the slopes and steps of the fortress in comfortable silence, both eager to see what Aro wished to do with the young woman, and equally concerned to hear why James and Victoria were not here. They didn't think too much of it, James and Victoria had left on a separate jet, however, by rights they should've arrived before both Felix and Demetri, this puzzled Demetri especially, he didn't trust either of them, he'd only agreed to spend time in their presence in order to fulfil the bomb making part of the agreement between the Volturi and James. Something in his gut told him to keep them close, and he was eager to find out where they had disappeared to.

They approached the large meeting room confidently, their strides long with purpose, they were met by Aro's secretary Heidi, she smiled seductively at Demetri, and Felix rolled his eyes, as his friend lapped up the attention. They followed her in silence, as she tottered ahead of them in leg breaking high heels, her hips swaying like a snake charmers flute, Felix smirked at his friend, whose eyes literally boggled out of his head. Aro stood and clapped gleefully as the two men entered the room.

"Demetri, Felix, how wonderful to see you, I take it your flight was pleasant, what news..." he said eager to be bought up to date on the situation.

"Aro. A pleasure to see you also, the first stage is well underway, we've left the Swan woman in the interrogation cell, I'm sure you'll be pleased to make her acquaintance soon." replied Demetri politely.

"Ah wonderful, has she been much trouble? Has she given us anything of use?"

"She's a feisty one," Felix chuckled.

"I must ask Aro, what of James and Victoria, I do not trust them, they follow orders adequately, but they need to be watched, something feels off about them." Demetri sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"Ah yes, our two new 'friends'," smiled Aro, "I've sent them on to Bourtzi, I didn't want them spending any time here, I'd like for you both to join them in a day or two."

Demetri nodded, "Of course Aro, although I wouldn't trust them to be left on their own for long."

"You worry too much Demetri, I've sent Alec and Jane to ensure all goes well."

Felix grinned, Alec and Jane was a sadistic pair if ever there were and he was confident that James and Victoria would give them no problems.

"Now then gentlemen, let's go, I'd like you to introduce me to our guest." Aro smiled eagerly.

They walked from the room together chatting idly as they descended into the bowls of the fortress. The three men strode through the halls with a confidence borne of familiarity, every nook, every cranny as familiar to them as the back of their own hands. The corridors eventually changed from classically lit, beautifully decorated passages to dim, dank and frightening. Their footsteps echoed off the ancient walls, walls that had held prisoners from many ages, walls that now held a young woman, who had done nothing but seek out information she shouldn't have access to. As they opened the door to the cell, they heard a gasp.

******
BellaPOV.

Ugh my head is killing me, I should've known better than to eat or drink anything that Gigantor had given me, but hunger beat common sense. I had no idea how long I'd been out this time, or where I was for that matter, was I still in that shitty little room, I didn't think so, for one I don't remember it having a light and I could clearly see that I was now on a bed, and not that shitty, mould ridden mattress I was on before. Was I even in the US anymore? What do they want with me? Why me?

So many questions and no obvious answers, I didn't know where I was, what day it was, if it was day or night, all I knew is that I was in a whole heap of trouble and that in all likelihood, no one was coming to get me out. I glanced around the cell, this one was different from the last one, older; it smelt damp, the lantern that swung by the door cast an eerie glow in the room, not quite chasing the darkness away, but enough to show me that I was definitely not in the same place as before. I sensed the lock turning before I heard it, I squinted at the shapes that formed in the halo of the lantern and gasped as I recognised two of the figures standing there. The third man, was tall, not quite as tall as Gigantor, but taller than me, had long dark hair, olive skin or at least that's how it appeared in the lamp light, and was impeccably dressed in a dark suit, he stood with an air of confidence, there was no kindness in his eyes, calculating, determined, he looked like a man that always got what he wanted, I hoped he'd enjoy the disappointment.

"Ah Ms Swan, you're awake," said Mr Smarmy. Yea that would do, he looked and spoke like a snake oil salesman.

"So it seems." I responded coolly.

I sat back on the small bed, drawing my knees up to my chest, keeping my eyes fixed on the three men stood in the doorway. Mr Smarmy nodded at Waldo, who walked into the room, drawing a chair opposite the bed. He stood and looked at me, a glare fixed in his eyes, Mr Smarmy walked into the room and sat down, Waldo and Gigantor stood either side of him, I rolled my eyes, seriously the guy must think he's Brando or something, I snorted and looked back at him defiantly.

"Something funny Ms Swan, surely you must understand that your situation isn't one that would warrant laughter, perhaps you underestimate the seriousness, no?" Mr Smarmy quipped.

"Oh I understand that you will kill me, the moment I tell you what you obviously think I know."

"Hmmm, perhaps we underestimate you Ms Swan, you seem to have a grasp on things, so how about you save yourself the time and worry and we hurry this along." he said rolling his hands in a circular motion.

"Or I could just sit here and say nothing at all and see where that gets me." I responded.

"Now Ms Swan I'm not a very patient man, you have something I want, and let me assure you, I ALWAYS get what I want." he replied in kind.

"Well in that case, asshole, it's about time you learnt that those that want, DON'T GET." I smirked, crossing my arms in defiance and cocking my chin at him.

We sat and stared at each other for what seemed an age, both of us not willing to give an inch, he quirked an eyebrow, I quirked one back with a smirk for good measure, he crossed his legs, I crossed my arms, I wouldn't lose this game of wills. He nodded to Gigantor, I cocked my head. Gigantor stepped forward and pulled me from the bed, I went rigid, I figured there was no point in making things easy for him. The enormous man didn't even register, obviously my size in comparison to his was of no consequence to him. He threw me at the wall, I hit it with such velocity that my head connected seconds after my body, pain radiated out, from my arms through my torso finally settling up my back, my head throbbed, and I felt the tell tale trickle of blood down the side of my face. I barely had time to register anything else before Gigantor had me up again and backhanded me across the cheek. My head swung back violently, blood flew from my mouth and spattered across the wall. Gigantor continued to hold me up as he repeatedly hit me across the cheeks, until everything started to get fuzzy.

The next time I woke, I was alone again; I guess the three stooges got bored watching my unconscious ass. I groaned in pain as I tried to move in the bed. My head throbbed; my cheeks felt overheated and swollen, I'm sure I must look a sight. I gently felt my face, grimacing at the tenderness there, I ached everywhere, I considered telling them everything I know if it meant no more pain, but knowing my luck it wouldn't be enough. I resigned myself to my eventual death, I promised I wouldn't say anything and regardless of what they did to me, I would stand by that.

The next time the door opened, it was just Gigantor and Waldo, Mr Smarmy was obviously bored of me already. They both leered at me as they entered the room; Waldo sat as Gigantor leant against the wall.

"Ms Swan, I believe my associate got a little... carried away last time," Waldo said.

"You think so eh?" I ground out.

"So I propose a truce of sorts, you tell us what we ask and we promise not to hit you anymore... doesn't that sound fair?"

"Hmmm I talk and you promise no hitting, you didn't mention anything about no shooting or in fact no killing me at all, so I think at this time I'll decline your truce."

Gigantor smirked, "Feisty, just how I like them."

I cocked an eyebrow at him, tilting my chin in defiance. "Compliments, will get you no where asshole."

Waldo snorted quietly; I guess he needed a sense of humour to work with these jokers.

"So, it's stalemate."

"Oh I wouldn't say that, we have ways of making you talk, but I'd rather not have to use them, I can't say that I'm fond of hitting women, particularly women as beautiful as yourself." Waldo continued.

I coughed at his obvious lies, seriously this guy thought flattery would make me talk, and I’m really not that shallow.

"Look," I said, "I'm sure you've got places to go, people to kill and all that other dodgy shit you do, so how about you do what you're here to do, then fuck off."

Waldo tilted his head at me, contemplating his next move; it seems I'm better at chess than him. I quirked an eyebrow his way, "Well..."

Waldo looked over at Gigantor, and then looked back at me, he nodded minutely, before standing and stepping out of the room, leaving me with the behemoth, I guess that his dislike for violence only went as far as having to watch.

"Come on then Gigantor, bring it on, be the big man," I snarked.

Gigantor scratched his head, before looking at the door and then looking back at me, it seemed he was a little unsure of the game, I guess he wasn't the brains of the party.

"I see what you lack in brains you make up for in brawn, I bet you feel real special," I taunted.

He growled at me, so I guess I was really getting under his skin.

"Awww, did I upset you, what's the matter, don't like the truth, don't like that out of all the crayons in this fucked up box, you're certainly not the brightest and damn well certainly not the sharpest. I bet you rode the short bus to school huh."

Gigantor physically bristled, oh yea I was really getting under his skin.

"Does it feel good to hurt those weaker than you, do you get a kick out of hitting women, do you get off on it, oh I bet you do, a big man like you, I bet you get off on it, I bet you feel so big and strong taking on someone who can't physically better you, I bet it really pisses you off that I can better you with my brain, I bet you hate this, me talking to you like you're shit, because you know, that's what you are, you are shit to me, I am so much better than you, and I will tell you this for nothing, you can hit me, you can stab me, hell shoot me if you like, but I will not tell you a damn thing, so fill your boots asshole, at the end of this I might be dead, but you, you will still be stupid."

And there it was, the button went ping and Gigantors face flushed red with rage, I steeled myself as he crossed the room swiftly and kicked me in my stomach, the air left my lungs in a whoosh, and I doubled over in pain, yeah that hurt, but I would take it.

"Is that all you have big man." I groaned out breathlessly.

"Bitch, you know nothing, and you will talk, they always do," he spat through his teeth, coating my face in saliva.

"Fuck you," I spat, as he backhanded me across the face.

"Talk you bitch and this ends," he bellowed as he kicked me again, repeatedly in the stomach, the ribs, the back in fact, anything was fair game.

"What part of FUCK YOU are you having difficulty in understanding?" I sputtered, blood pooling in my mouth.

Gigantor growled in anger, stomping around the cell, kicking anything that was in his way. The chair that had been in front of the bed flew across the room, followed by a small table, if you could get degree's in pushing buttons I could guarantee earning one with honours. Waldo stepped into the room when he heard the noise, he placed a hand on Gigantors shoulder and he instantly calmed at his touch, well that was weird.  Waldo leant in to his associate and whispered something, I don't know what, but they both turned and left the room, slamming the door behind them, leaving me curled up on the bed.

I eventually slipped into a restless sleep, my dreams were haunted by faces, and phantom shadows. I woke up numerous times, the pain too much to take at times, blood pooling in my mouth forcing me to spit it out onto the damp floor. Surely I shouldn't still be doing that after this long. I guess I'd got some internal bleeding, Gigantor had really done a number on me, at this rate they'd be lucky if I lived long enough for them to try again.

I curled in on myself, the pain in my abdomen easing the more I curled up, I heard the lock turning at what I guess must be the next morning, rather than facing another beating, I chose to feign sleep, I heard the metal bowl hit the floor beside the bed, but ignored it, I wouldn't chose to eat anything they give me any time soon. I heard shuffling in the room and the sound of the chair being dragged from the corner it had been tossed and righted in front of the bed. I groaned internally, can't they just leave me alone. A cough interrupted my internal cringing and I continued to feign sleep.

"Isabella, I know you're awake, so I suggest you stop wasting my time and look at me." the voice said.

I groaned, pain flaring in my abdomen as I attempted to move, nausea swept through me and I was barely able to push my head over the edge of the bed before I vomited on the floor, my head swam with dizziness, the pain not dulling the feelings even minutely. I cracked an eye open and saw Mr Smarmy sitting there in front of me in his expensive suit, fiddling with his cuffs and picking imaginary lint from his sleeves.

"Isabella, a beautiful name for a beautiful woman, such a shame that you've been so obstinate." Mr Smarmy continued.

"Did you not get the memo asshole, or were there too many words for Gigantor to remember, here, I'll remind you... FUCK YOU." I groaned out, the pain in my abdomen flaring exponentially.

"You really do have a potty mouth Isabella,” Mr Smarmy retorted.

"Well it seems to be the only way your goons will get the hint, they're not exactly loquacious, well except with their fists that is."

"Perhaps if you were a little more...co-operative, things would be a little easier for you." he replied, tilting his head to observe me.

"Oh yea, because me spilling all my secrets is really going to stop you from having Gigantor and his little friend off me, yea I can see how easy that would make things. Nope I think I'll stay as I am, thanks but no thanks." I replied before turning my back on the smarmy leech.

I heard him sigh behind me, before standing and walking away to the door.

"You should reconsider Isabella; it's not just you that hangs in the balance." I didn't even have time to respond to his cryptic words before I heard the door shut behind him and the lock click into place.

*****

Demetri POV.

Three days, that's what it had been, three damn days and that bloody woman still hadn't told us anything, well unless you count the various intonations of Fuck you that she spat at us.  Felix was swiftly losing his patience, he was not at all a patient man, he knew his strengths and weaknesses and this woman knew exactly what buttons to press. He'd beaten her to near unconsciousness that first day, I'm convinced she's suffered some internal bleeding, she'd been spitting blood regularly ever since. Aro refused to send in the physician, something I strongly disagreed with, but he's a sadistic son of a bitch and I'm sure he couldn't care less whether we got anything out of her or not, either way she would die. We'd spent numerous hours in that cell with her, exchanging jibes back and forth and were still no closer to cracking her, if it wasn't the job I'm sure she would've made a brilliant associate, such a shame her choice in sides was flawed.

"Ah Demetri, what news of our dear Isabella?" Aro called from across the hallway.

"No change Aro, she's incredibly stubborn, I fear we'll get nothing from her, I think she'll more than likely die before she gives anything up."

"Such a shame, she had such promise. I have business for you and Felix, I'd like for you to join Jane and Alec in Bourtzi, take Isabella with you, perhaps they could be a little more ah... persuasive." He replied.

I nodded in agreement, "As you wish Aro, I'll have the Helicopter readied for the next hour."

"Good, I'll have Heidi arrange for some medication to make her trip a little easier on you." Aro quipped, eagerness and joy radiating in his eyes.

"That would be most helpful Aro, is there anything else you wish for us to take?"

"No that is all, have Jane ... talk with her when you arrive, she knows what to do."

"No problem," I responded before striding back down the hall to my rooms to fill a bag. I called Felix on the way and less than fifty minutes later we were stood on the outskirts of town, Aro's helicopter sitting on the helipad waiting for us to board. The Swan woman was out cold in the back of Felix's car, she'd been heavily dosed with Barbiturates and wouldn't be waking any time soon. I pitied her in that moment, it was a shame she'd been caught up in all this, but when it came down to it, it was us or them; I wouldn't give it a second thought. I turned and gave Volterra one last look as we boarded our flight, I didn't know when we'd be back, hopefully this would be over soon, but we had work to do and I was nothing if not thorough. Felix unceremoniously dumped the young woman on a bench across the cabin of the Helicopter, strapping her down for takeoff, he glanced over at me and shrugged, he'd taken too much pleasure in the beatings he'd given her the past few days, it made my stomach churn thinking that he could do that to a woman, so carelessly.

"Let's get this show on the road brother, I'm eager to see how Bourtzi has changed since we were there last, and there's this hot little number in Nafplion that I'd love to see again," Felix quipped happily.

I shook my head at him, always thinking with his stomach or his dick. We settled into idle chatter as the helicopter took to the sky, it would be a few hours before we made it to Bourtzi, so we made comfortable and enjoyed the brief respite of the flight.



1 comment:

  1. Loved, loved loved!
    I really like defiant Bella!
    Can't wait to see Edward's POV of whats been going on and what Jane has in store for Bella!
    FinS x

    ReplyDelete