Sunday 16 October 2011

Chapter 30 - 22nd August 2010 - Colorado Springs, CO




EPOV

The bus ride into Denver was uneventful, for that I was thankful, we'd been through so much these last few days and both myself and Bella are in dire need of sleep, the sooner we could find a vehicle and get to Colorado Springs the better, I can only hope that we'd have a little bit of peace before we had to run again.

I was pleased to see a used car lot across the street from the bus terminal, and took no time in practically dragging Bella across to find us another ride. The few hours we'd spent on the bus had thankfully recharged our batteries a little and I felt much better equipped to deal with anything we came across. Bella too looked refreshed; I can only hope that things were on the up and up. We both spotted the dark blue SUV sitting on the lot as we approached, and headed directly for it, we needed something that would fit in with the locals and handle the ever changing terrain that we may encounter on our way. It was perfect. I nodded to Bella and she smiled in agreement, taking my hand she led us into the sales office to secure the vehicle.

An hour later we drove off the lot, heading out of Denver with the flow of traffic in an attempt to ensure we weren't being followed, once we hit the interstate I was able to open up on the gas. Bella sat beside me, the seat pushed back as far as it would go and her feet propped up on the dash, the Colorado countryside flashed past the windows as I drove south wards.

"So, where are we going?" she asked while taking a sip of the large soda she'd picked up at the bus terminal.

"Carmen and Eleazar Denali's, they live in Colorado Springs, Carmen's an instructor at the Air Force Academy, you'll love her, she's probably the only woman that's ever scared the shit out of me," I replied with a grin.

"And Eleazar?" she asked.

"Her husband, he's a former astronaught, they met as cadets at the academy, he was the hotshot pilot, come starting quarter back with the Falcons, she was tiny Latino girl that busted balls and took names, she's a formidable pilot in her own right, she's the brains behind the Airforce flight team, the Thunderbirds," I stated proudly.

"Okay I like the sound of them already, but how can they help?" Bella responded quizzically.

"They have a place out in the Garden of the Gods, it's secluded enough for us to hide out, but close enough to civilisation for us to have access to communication channels, that and they have access to a helo, I'm hoping they can fly us out of here," I replied.

I was graced with a smile at this and couldn't help responding in kind, we continued on in silence, the only noise coming from the soft music on the radio.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*


The sight of the Academy airport and the looming shadow of Pikes Peak brought a smile to my face, it wouldn't be long before we were there, Bella had fallen asleep about an hour ago, fatigue finally catching up with her, I nudged her gently, eager to point out one of my favourite places in the world to her. She stirred and groaned a little before her eyes fluttered open, a gentle smile graced her lips as she looked across the console to me.

"Hey there sleepy head, I wanted to show you one of my favourite views, we're almost there," I said smiling widely.

"Wow," she said looking out the window as I sped along the interstate.

"Over there is the Academy airport, and that big ass mountain in the back is Pikes Peak, Fourteen thousand, one hundred and ten feet of awesomeness," I stated.

"Wow, I've seen pictures, but... wow," she replied semi-coherently.

"Yeah, it's definitely got the wow factor, just wait 'til we get to the Garden of the Gods, it's like another world all together," I said with a grin.

Bella stretched in her seat and grabbed a water bottle from a side pocket, taking a large gulp.

"So how long till we get to the Denali's?" she asked.

"About twenty minutes give or take a few," I replied grasping her hand and squeezing it lightly.

"I just hope we're not bringing them any trouble," Bella said darkly.

"I know baby, but they would offer us help regardless, they're good people," I said.

We continued on in silence, the scenery shifting from open plains and mountains to commercial buildings, it wasn't long before the Garden of the Gods came into view, earning a gasp from Bella, I wish our coming here was for other reasons than to escape pursuers and trying to find a way back to DC, I would've loved to have brought her here to climb or hike, maybe when this is over we could come back. If she wanted to that is.

Eleazars jeep was parked along a gravel drive outside a small hacienda style home, at least someone is home I thought to myself as I pulled in behind it. I checked the clip in the 9mm strapped to my back ensuring I had a round chambered, before looking at Bella and nodding for her to do the same with hers. She quickly pulled the gun from the glove compartment where I'd put it earlier and chambered a round before flicking the safety over. I grinned and stepped from the SUV motioning for her to do the same and we approached the small home hand in hand. We barely made it to the porch before the door swung open and Carmen stood there gawping at me.

"Avé Maria, I'm being haunted by Edward Cullen," she muttered while crossing her chest.

I stifled a laugh; Carmen was always good for a joke. She narrowed her eyes at me before looking at Bella, then back at me, the reality of our being there dawning on her.

"Good God, Edward, do you realise you scared the shit out of me, the last I'd heard was you were dead and then here you are darkening my door, you better have a good explanation or I may just shoot you myself," she ground out.

"Hi Carmen," I said smiling, "Is El home, we kind of need your help," I continued.

"Come in, come in," she said muttering and gesturing for us to enter.

With a quick look around I pulled Bella through the door and into the small open plan living room, Carmen was hot on our heels, still muttering away to herself.

"Well I know who you are if you're being dragged along with him, Bella Swan," she said with self assuredness.

It really didn't surprise me that Carmen had worked out Bella's identity, she's a smart woman and I know we would've told her had she asked anyhow. Bella didn't even look shocked at Carmen's declaration; she seemed to understand that she was someone we could trust. We needed all the help we could get. We continued through the house towards the large open kitchen that overlooked a large yard that stretched into the sand coloured surroundings. The form of a large man was bent over an open toolbox beside a dark blue Huey that sat stationary about a hundred yards away.

"El! Come here a minute, we have company," Carmen called from the back door.

Bella and I stood in the kitchen, just out of sight of the man as he stood up and wiped his brow with a red rag, before he turned and made to walk towards Carmen.

"What's all the noise woman, can't you see I'm busy fixing your damn chopper?" he called laughing.

Bella cocked an eyebrow, not quite sure if he was being serious or just joking. I clasped her hand lightly in my own and smiled reassuringly. "Trust me," I whispered. She nodded at me, not taking her eyes from the hulking form approaching.

"Move your ass El, you're not going to believe who's here," Carmen yelled.

"Well who is it?" he responded.

"Hurry up you old fart and come see, ayé this man he drives me insane," she cried throwing her arms in the air and turning back towards us. "If only you were ten years older Edward, I'd trade him in," she said with a smirk.

Bella chuckled beside me, but clasped my hand possessively. I rolled my eyes while grinning between the two women, this could be fun. Eleazar finally stepped through the door, bent down and placed a peck on Carmen’s cheek before asking her what the fuss is all about.

"I swear I thought I saw a ghost El," Carmen explained while pointing towards us.

Eleazar turned and took in my and Bella's appearance, before exclaiming loudly, "Holy Shit! Edward motherfucking Cullen, you look well, for a dead man!"

"Hiya El," I said grinning and offering a hand.

He cocked an eyebrow at me and stepped forward and pulled me into a hug, "When have I ever shaken your hand asshole?"

"Never, but I was trying to respect my elders in front of my girl, you know how it is old man," I replied jovially.

"Ms Swan, a pleasure," Eleazar said lifting Bella's hand and placing a gentle kiss on her knuckles.

Of course Bella blushed at Eleazars actions, he gestured for us to head into the living room, while Carmen fixed some drinks.

"So what's going on, I know this aint no social call Edward, what with you both being dead an' all," Eleazar asked.

I glanced at Bella and she nodded from her seat next to me on the small couch that we had claimed on entering the room.

"It's kind of fucked up scenario El, but basically, the President has some affiliations with a certain crime family and he's caused them offence, there's a plot to kill him and wipe out the senate on the 6th, Bella can pad out the details if you want them, but essentially, we're stuck in the middle and they need to shut us up to succeed. We were hiding out in Montana that last few months, but they had someone on the inside and now we're on the run, no contact with the guys at all, we're off the grid," I said gravely.

"Okay, but why here?" Carmen asked walking into the room with a tray of coffee.

"Our original ex-fil fell through, we were tracked, so I had to take us black, we've changed vehicles and modes of transport numerous times, but what we really need to do is get to DC, well NAB preferably sooner rather than later, but without drawing attention to ourselves, so commercial transport is not an option," I replied.

"Ah, I see where you're going; you want us to fly you out of dodge?" Eleazar asked.

"That's pretty much it, I don't like putting you guys in danger, but we're not sure who else to trust and until we can get ourselves back to the team, we're as good as dead, we already took out two trackers since leaving Montana, I doubt that's the end of it," I said earnestly.

"Okay, I'll need to arrange for some leave, El, well he's practically retired now anyhow, spends his time scratching his ass and doing who knows what," Carmen said chuckling lightly.

We all chuckled at Carmen and Bella nudged my side lightly and nodded at her saying, "I like her, she's feisty."

We spent the next few hours bringing them up to speed, the only proof of time moving was the sun casting shadows across the floor as it moved across the sky. As expected Bella and Carmen got on like a house on fire and Eleazar was suitably impressed by her strength and quick wit. It was only when the room got dark that we broke from our talking to consider getting food, the day had passed by without our knowledge and for the first time since leaving Montana I actually felt somewhat safe.

Carmen called in a few favours at the Academy and arranged for a week’s leave, she also filed a flight plan from the Academy airport to NAB, hopefully this time next week we'd be safely entrenched with our team. With the plan set, we prepared to bed down for the night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


BPOV

Had it only been a few days since we'd run from Montana? Laying on the pull out bed with Edward after spending so much time running was nothing short of heaven, Carmen and Eleazar are wonderful people and I hope that once all this is all over we can get together under better circumstances. I should be sleeping, we've an early start in the morning, but my brain just won't shut down, since we escaped from Montana, I seem to be on high alert, constantly looking for danger. Even now, caged in Edwards’ arms I can't seem to shut down, there's this niggling thought that's saying sleep with one eye open, you're not out of trouble yet. Edward dropped off almost as soon as his head hit the pillow, his even breaths blowing lightly against the back of my neck.

I've taken to watching the digital read out on the clock, the numbers blink tauntingly at me, 2:30am, 3:30am, 4.30am, is it too much to ask to get some sleep? Edward tightened his grip around my waist, pulling me tightly into his chest; his warm breaths blew across my ear.

"Baby, you need to stop thinking and start sleeping, we have lots to do before we fly out of here in a few days, you're going to make yourself sick," he sighs into my ear.

"Sorry, everything is catching up on me, this is the longest we've stopped moving since we ran from the cabin and I guess my mind thinks it's a good time to work through it," I replied.

"We'll work through it together, once you've had some sleep, I promise baby, laying here thinking is just going to make you too tired to be of any use to us or yourself, shut down Bella."

"Well that is easier said than done, Master Chief," I replied.

"Maybe I need to take your mind of things huh?" he responded while simultaneously nipping my ear and cupping my ass with his hands.

"Maybe," I shrugged a yawn breaking free.

Edward chuckled, as he dotted light kisses to my neck while pulling me closer. "Sleep, Bella," he whispered his masculine scent washing over me as I snuggled into his embrace.

"You don't play fair," I mumbled sleepily as my eyes lost the battle to close.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Daylight streamed through the large windows spreading light and warmth across the pull out bed I was camped in, my hand drifted across the expanse of the bed, knowing before feeling that Edward wasn't there. I slowly sat up taking stock of my surroundings and simultaneously feeling under my pillow for my gun. I soon caught on to the sound of voices coming from out the back of the house and the smell of strong coffee nearby. How long had I slept?

"Okay Car, we'll fly out tomorrow night, but I need to inform my guys we're coming, but not make it obvious to anyone else," I heard Edward say.

"That's easy enough, I can email Jasper at NAB and tell him we have a few 'Party Favours' to deliver for the 6th, that should be cryptically obvious don't you think?" Carmen responded, her hands flying all over the place to punctuate her point.

I chuckled to myself, she really is feisty. I could see how she made Edward nervous, she didn't take any shit.

"They're worse than kids once they start bickering," Eleazar said from behind me, causing me to jump slightly in fright. He chuckled lightly but looked apologetic.

"Sorry, didn't mean to sneak up on you, it's an old habit. Edward filled us in while you were sleeping," he continued.

"No worries, I think we just want this over, neither of us expected it to be going on this long or to be running this blind," I stated with a sigh.

"We'll see you're home soon Bella."

I nodded in response, as Eleazar opened the back door and strode towards Edward and Carmen; I followed hot on his trail practically falling into Edwards’ tight embrace once we reached them.

"Hey," he said running his thumbs under my eyes, "You look more rested, we're aiming to fly out tomorrow night, hopefully Jaz and Em will be able to meet us at NAB, it's nearly over baby," Edward growled.

"Okay, I'm just going to trust you on this, I know my limits, and I know you have a plan," I said sighing.

"I do, we'll be back on home soil soon baby and then the real fun will begin," he stated.

The rest of the day and much of the next was filled with planning, and ensuring we had every base covered, Edward wanted to make sure that El and Carmen were not setting themselves up for trouble once they'd flown us into NAB, the house was locked up, security measures I didn't know they had were set and by 7pm we were loading up into the chopper. I shuffled in the back of the Huey nervously, Edward climbed in beside me and moved to fix the belt across my lap and set a headset over my ears. Before long Carmen had called in her flight and we were lifting into the night sky, banking eastwards for DC.

"She's one of the best damn pilots I know Bella, the guys will be waiting on us when we arrive, El and Car are going to hang around a few days to make sure all is well before heading back home, trust me okay?" Edward said leaning in to my side.

"Yeah," I breathed out, "I trust them, I trust you, it's those Volturi scum that I don't trust, I just don't want them heading into a shitstorm once they've dropped us off you know?" I sputtered out.

Edward reached over and grasped my hand in his, his thumb instantly tracing its familiar path across my hand, "This is what we do baby, have a little faith," he said kissing my temple.

"Okay," I said with a sigh.

*~*~*~*~*~*
EPOV.

"Hey Ed, take a peek out your window, bet that's a sight for sore eyes huh?" Carmen said chuckling through her headset.

I looked out over the dark expanse of land below us, the lights of the admin and crew rooms like beacons, the familiar sight of the kill house, various warehouses and training areas sprawled out like a patchwork below, yeah it's good to be home. Bella fidgeted beside me while I pointed out the various buildings below, the large expanse of field opened up as we began to descend and I soon spotted the laser flick off then on three times, our welcome committee was ready and waiting. Carmen flicked various switches as the Helo touched ground, the engines coming to a slow and steady stop, the door closest to me was pulled open with force and two grinning faces appeared out of the darkness.

"About damn time you showed up, this ain't no damn holiday Chief," Emmett all but bellowed.

"Good to see you Em, Jaz, I guess you got our message?"

"Party favours for the 6th? Who came up with that one, had to be Bella or Car, because you two yahoo's are too damn thick to be that clever," Jasper stated with a wry smile.

"That was Car, how's things on the ground?" I asked.

"Oh it's been fun, but I get the feeling you two have had much more excitement," Jasper stated.

"Yeah, you could say that," I replied looking back at Bella.

"Well we can't sit her all night, El, Car, you hanging around for a bit?" Emmett interrupted.

"Yes Emmett, just a little while," El answered.

"Awesome!" Emmett responded.

We stepped out of the Helo, and were soon piling into Emmett’s big ass hummer and speeding off base.


No comments:

Post a Comment