Sunday 10 July 2011

Chapter 22 - 14th July 2010 - Flathead Lake, Mt

BPOV

I woke the next day to the heavenly scent of bacon wafting through my bedroom door. Now if only that could be paired with coffee I'd be in my own version of paradise. I sighed to myself; obviously this was my cue to remove my sorry ass from my bed. But it's so comfy, go on stay a while. No I need to get up, there's still so much to look into, the Intel won't find itself. Nodding to myself I pulled back the comforter and slid from the bed. The moment my feet touched the floor a shiver ran through me.

"Holy shit it's cold," I said out loud.


I skipped across the chilly wooden floor, only stopping with a shriek as my feet made contact with the cold tiles of the bathroom. It all happened quickly, one second I'm standing there hopping around on the cold tiles, the next I'm up in the air and being held tightly against a very firm feeling body. A very firm, warm feeling body, that's breathing deeply in my ear. I tensed at the contact, until I felt the familiar thrum of electricity pulse through me.

"Edward? What are you doing?" I asked timidly.

"Bella?"

"Why are you carrying me backwards out of my room?"

"You screamed. I um..." he stuttered slowly putting my feet back on the floor, but not releasing his grasp on me.

"The floor was cold Edward, it shocked me," I giggled.

"Oh, I thought someone was up here, my mistake." he said scratching the back of his head nervously.

I smirked and turned in his arms. Noting that he still held me loosely. "Thank you for protecting me Edward, but really I'm fine."

He grinned at me before stepping back, he looked slightly embarrassed, he had no reason to be. I was glad to have him here to look after me, we looked after each other before, I knew I wouldn't have felt safe with anyone else.

"Um Edward..." I started.

"Huh? Yeah?" he said distractedly.

"Um can you smell burning?"

"Huh?" he said sniffing. He suddenly tensed his eyes went wide, "Shit, the bacon," He yelled as he ran from the room.

I stood there giggling, the chill of the morning long forgotten. I moved across the room and dug out some warmer clothes, before heading into the bathroom where I had intended to wash up before heading down. I quickly did so then dressed and headed towards the kitchen. When I arrived Edward was standing over the stove lifting very well done bacon onto paper towels to drain out. All the windows were open, the cold morning air clearing the burnt smell from the room. Edward looked up sheepishly as I reached the table, offering a tentative smile at me.

"How'd you like your eggs?" he asked.

I chuckled at the absurdity of the question. "Scrambled would be great thanks Edward."

He smiled and moved across the kitchen to grab a carton of eggs from the counter. I watched from my seat at the table, in awe of how relaxed he seemed doing the most mundane of chores. It was certainly a long cry from his day to day life. It was only now that I was getting to see the real Edward, sure when we had been held in Bourtzi and later when we had escaped I had seen the ever so protective and strong Edward, but that was just one facet of who he is. The real normal Edward is at home in the kitchen, padding around in a loose pair of grey sweat pants, barefoot and wearing a black vest his hair its usual mop of disarray. He was relaxed yet focused on his task, he seemed happy. This Edward seemed just like a normal family guy who had not a care in the world.

"Anything I can do to help?" I said gazing as Edward skilfully moved the eggs around in the pan.

"There's coffee over there if you want to pour some and set the table," he said looking up at me with a smile.

"You know for a tough guy you're pretty domestic," I joked standing and filling two mugs with coffee.

He chuckled as his cheeks pinked slightly and shook his head. "Little Bird, are you trying to say I've surprised you?" he responded with a smirk.

"A little, it's quite refreshing to see that you're not all about the guns," I retorted with a grin.

He guffawed, a full out belly laugh before responding."Little Bird you know, I think we're going to get along just fine. Oh and believe me, once you've tried Mid-rats on a Navy ship, you soon consider learning to cook."

"Oh let me guess, you're not a fan of Baloney," I said sniggering.

"If I never have to eat that stuff again, it would be too soon for me," he said scrunching his face in distaste.

I sat and giggled, I'd had the pleasure of the Navy's Baloney fixation a few times over the years. It's a taste I hoped never to encounter again.

I set the two steaming cups of coffee on the table and retrieved some cutlery from the drawer setting a place for both me and Edward, he joined me as I finished up, placing a plate of eggs and bacon in front of me. It smelled wonderful. Breakfast was mostly quiet, both of us not feeling the need to talk, we indulged in the food that Edward had cooked and enjoyed the calm of the early morning.

"So..." Edward started.

I looked up at him, my fork held just in front of my face. "Mmhmm?"

"I was thinking, I know we have a lot to look into, but I thought it would be good for us to get to know each other better and familiarise ourselves with the area. We don't know how long we'll be here, so I think it's important that we know the lay of the land, should we need to make a quick getaway," Edward said calmly.

"Okay, I don't think it'll hurt to leave the Intel for today, what did you have in mind?" I replied taking a bite of the crispy bacon.

"Well, I was thinking we could do a little tour of the house, the grounds, check out the boat on the lake and maybe head into town too, see what's around," he said eyeing me as if he was trying to gauge my reaction.

"Sounds good to me, I know we're in hiding, but I think it would be good to get the lay of the land. Not to mention with us having spent some time in the hospital people will know that we're here, so we do have an image to maintain," I answered thoughtfully.

"Yeah the image, how do you feel about that, because I know I'm fine, but I don't want to do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable," Edward said shrugging a little.

"I'm fine Edward, I understand why Jasper arranged the cover the way he did, and it's perfectly plausible. Don't over think it, go with what feels natural, we've been fine so far, so if we carry on as we are, then we should be okay. Yeah?"

"Good. I didn't want you to think I was being presumptuous or anything if I were to touch you in public, the last thing I want is for you to feel unsafe around me," he said, his eyes boring into mine.

"I trust you Edward, with my life. We've already been through so much, so don't sweat the small stuff," I replied.

We were broken from our discussion by the distinctive sound of a vehicle approaching; I eyed Edward who sat with his eyes trained on the window facing out onto the front yard. They can't have found us already. A shiver ran up my spine. Fear was starting to take a hold on me. Suddenly Edward was at my side, kneeling on the floor beside my chair.

"Bella, breathe, I promised I'll keep you safe, now let's play our parts and get rid of our visitor," he spoke calmly to me, his voice like crushed velvet, was nothing but sincere. I stared into his eyes, I saw no fear, Edward had this, and he would look after me. I felt so weak.

I snapped from my stupor as the sound of footsteps crunched across the drive. He pushed a loose hair back behind my ear, gently cupping my chin in his hand. I didn't realise I was shaking until I felt his arm come around me and pull me to him.

"Shhh its okay, we'll be fine, I promise," he soothed.

I nodded against his chest, not able to speak, the tremors subsiding as I melted in his embrace. "It's okay Bella, it's okay, we're safe, we're fine, we're safe..." he was interrupted from his calming me by the sound of the doorbell.

"Okay sweetheart, you up for this?" he asked quietly while stroking my hair.

I was clutching onto his vest as if it was a lifeline. I nodded once more, burrowing into his chest, trying to find a way to melt into him completely.

When did I become so dependent?

Edward stepped away from me, looking me over, trying to ascertain if I could hold it together to even answer the door. "If I tell you to run Bella, you head straight to the panic room, don't wait for me, you go there, you lock the door and you don't open it without the safe word. What's the word Bella?"

"Thunder," I said focussing on the plan, the safety net.

"Good, now then Mrs Masen, time to great our guest," Edward said grinning, before grasping my hand in his and moving towards the front door.

I froze, pulling at his hand clasped in mine. Edward stopped looking back at me with concern.

"What if it's...them?" I asked in a harsh whisper.

"I'll deal with it," he replied with conviction. "Seriously Bella, I have it covered," he said patting the slight dip in the back of his shirt that I hadn't noticed before. He was armed. I sighed in relief and squeezed his hand to show him I was okay for him to head on to the door.

The bell rung once more, "Coming! Just a second," Edward called. He looked back at me to make sure I was still with him. I nodded and moved to his side. He kept me part way behind the door as he opened it to our visitor. Even in the simplest of situations he was protecting me. He still didn't release my hand from his grasp, his thumb trailed delicate circles over my knuckles. It kept me grounded.

"Good morning Officer, how can I help?" Edward said offering his hand to the uniformed man at the door.

"Oh good morning to you to sir, was just in the neighbourhood and saw vehicles at the house, it's been empty a while, just wanted to check to see who the new folks were and to welcome you," the middle aged man said.

I smiled at the familiarity of the situation; he reminded me so much of my dad, small town cop, knew everyone and everything about his surroundings. Edward smiled widely at him, yet still didn't remove his hand from mine.

"Well thank you very much officer, I'm Anthony Masen and this is my wife Isabelle, afraid we've only been here a few days so not had the pleasure of checking the town out as yet. So much to sort out, you wouldn't believe the amount of random junk we seem to have bought with us," Edward said giving nothing away.

The officer smiled at him, his dark blue eyes twinkling with mirth, perhaps he understood where Edward was coming from.

"I'm Chief Harding, but I go by Nate around these parts. It's good to see some life in this old place, no one's lived here since well I'm not sure I can remember that far back. So what do you folks do, where you from?" he said smiling.

"Well Nate, why don't you come in and have a coffee, we can't have you standing out on the porch all morning," Edward said, he squeezed my hand to get my attention; I looked up to his face as he cocked his eyes towards the kitchen. I slipped from his grasp as I moved towards the kitchen, flicking the coffee maker on.

Edward soon followed with Nate at his side; they were talking animatedly about the town, the fishing on the lake, the hunting in the forest. I filled a mug with coffee and placed it in front of him at the table, placing milk and sugar there should he wish it. I moved to Edwards' side as he sat at the table facing the man, his arm wrapped around my waist and I leant into him, wrapping my arm around his shoulder and running a hand through his hair.

Nate smiled at our interaction. "So newlyweds eh?" he said grinning.

"That obvious huh?" Edward said smiling widely at him.

"Just a little. So as I was saying at the door, where you folks from, what do you do?" he asked sipping his coffee. His eyes practically rolled into the back of his head. "Ma'am you sure know how to make good coffee."

I grinned, pleased that we may have gotten the officer on side. "Thank you Nate, it's one of few things I'm good at."

"You're too modest baby," Edward crooned.

"Oh don't you start that again," I said slapping his shoulder lightly.

"Well to answer your questions Nate, we're originally from Chicago, I was a beat cop, Isabelle here she used to man the dispatch at my precinct, and you could say I fell for her voice before I even met her," Edward said, his eyes sparkling, his smile sincere.

I blushed at his words, "Yeah well someone needed to keep you in line, with your tendency to keep going off and playing the hero," I responded.

Nate chuckled, taking another sip of his coffee. "So what's a Chicago cop doing in Montana?"

"Ah see this is where it gets a little out there," Edward said, his face changing to a serious mask. "A week after we got married, we were on honeymoon in Polson, rented one of those cabins down by the lake. We'd spent the day checking out the local area and had actually just signed the papers on this place. Anyhow we were locking up for the night when these four big guys forced their way in. Izz was beaten in front of me while they held me back. Someone must've heard the commotion because the police were called and during the fire fight that occurred on their arrival, I was shot in the chest and Izz was hit in the leg. She was taken to the clinic in Polson, but I guess I got the worse end of the stick and was airlifted to Kalispell," Edward finished.

Nate blanched, I guess our story shocked him a little; small town cops don't really get to experience this sort of stuff. "Wow you folks have been through the ringer. Well if you do decide to make your stay permanent, we'd welcome you down at our station; it's not quite Chicago, more babysitting the local teenagers, lost hikers, boat accidents, that sort of thing."

"We'll think about Nate, right now we just want to relax and enjoy our time here, get out check out the sights, smell the clean air and enjoy each other," Edward responded hugging me tightly to him.

Nate laughed, his eyes scrunching up and slapped his knee lightly. "Well I won't keep you folks; maybe I'll see you around town," he said standing and moving towards the door.

Edward strode after him; they shook hands as Nate left. The door closed and I breathed out, I didn't realise just how tense I was until my guard came back down. I felt exhausted. I leant against the table taking in deep breaths. Edward appeared at my side. He didn't speak, just stroked my back while I got myself back under control.

"Thanks," I murmured.

"No problems Little Bird, I made you a promise, I intend to keep it."

*****

EPOV.

She was so scared, the events from the last few weeks were wearing on her and the cracks were starting to show. Bella was leaning against the table taking deep breaths. We'd survived our first encounter with nosey locals. It was nerve wracking, but at the time, she had sucked it up and played her part perfectly. I couldn't have been more proud of her. "You did great; hopefully we won't have to do that anymore, small town jungle drums and that."

"Yeah," She laughed, I could tell it was forced; the spark hadn't made it to her eyes.

"We're going to get through this you know, we can't think any other way, you and me we're a team, a damn good one too," I said confidently.

She smiled then and it was beautiful. Her whole face took on a glow; it was ethereal, angelic, and otherworldly. It made me want to laugh, smile too, it made me want to pluck the wings off butterflies. She was incredible. The steady thrum of energy that was always there when she was pulsed between us, it was like a comfortable blanket, a hug. I didn't realise I'd moved closer until my fingers traced the apple of her cheek, the energy pulsed through the connection, my fingers tingled. Beeping broke me from the trance I'd fallen in to, I shook my head and stepped back, letting out a breath. I scratched the back of my neck and moved over to the counter, the dishwasher had finished its cycle. I flicked the off switch. When I turned round Bella had left the room, I guess the tension got to her too.

I stood there in the kitchen, staring at the table that Bella had been stood at only moments ago. Pull yourself together idiot. I huffed exasperated with myself, the situation we were in, hell I was infuriated with everything. On top of it all, I felt close and distant from Bella, and I didn't know what to do about that. How can you be close and distant, that's well that's just mental? I walked through the kitchen to the hall leading to the front door; I pulled open the closet there and grabbed a black backpack. That would do, we need to get out and check this place out, staying indoors would drive me insane in double quick time and we needed to know the lay of the land for own safety.

After packing a few essentials I dropped the bag at the bottom of the stairs and headed up to find Bella. She was sat looking out of the window in her bedroom, her chin resting in her hand while her elbow was positioned on her knee. Reds and gold's glinted from her hair were the sun that passed through the large window hit her, casting an ethereal glow around her. She looked heavenly, angelic even. I stood at the entrance to her room, frozen as I looked at her in awe. She was golden flowers, rain in springtime, the wind in the trees, and the scent of the ocean in a storm, beautiful.

I shuffled from one foot to the other, not really wanting to break her from her position ahead of me, but needing to for my own sanity.

"Bella?" I asked barely above a whisper.

She turned her head towards me, the light of the sun hitting her hair and making it look like sparkles. I sighed internally, snap out of it, she doesn't need you standing here mooning over her like some pubescent schoolboy. A small smile graced her lips, making her eyes shine and her face glow.

"You ready to head out?"

"Yeah," she replied dazedly.

"It's a bit chilly out, you might want to grab a sweater, I figured we'd take one of the ATVs, just until we get an idea of what the terrain is like," I said shrugging a little.

"Okay!" she said biting her lip and grabbing a hooded sweatshirt from the chair by the window.

I held out my hand unsure if I was overstepping boundaries or making her feel uncomfortable. Inside my stomach was churning, anxiety and excitement forcing adrenalin through my system in equal amounts. My focus was foggy at best. I had no idea what I was doing, but that didn't stop me from going with it anyway.

Her delicate hand rested in mine like it was made to fit. I daren't dwell on it that would not help my growing ... affections? for Bella. Is that what it was? Affection? My mind was a tangled web of confusion. I couldn't tell up from down, let alone what my feelings were for the indomitable Ms Swan. So I chose not to think about it. Instead I focused, or at least tried to, on checking out our new home, and keeping her safe. Sure we were both quite a mess from our experiences in Bourtzi, but we had to get over that and rely on each other. I was thankful that we could at the very least rely on each other, we'd managed so far and I had every faith that we could continue to do so. 

As we reached the bottom of the stairs, Bella tripped on the final step, her body lurching forwards with the assistance of gravity and momentum forcing her to flail in mid air. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her into me before she collided with the large wooden banister. Her petite frame melted into my own, our breaths coming out thick and fast from the sudden shock and exertion. Her hands clung to mine as I held her until our breathing evened out.

"You okay?" I asked in her ear. My face pressed against the side of her head.

Bella remain motionless against me, gulping breaths like she'd found water in a desert. She nodded but didn't move or attempt to leave my embrace.

"You know, I'm thinking of asking Jasper to get this place padded, and then if you do fall, it won't hurt as much," I spoke softly into her ear, a smirk spreading across my face.

She chuckled lightly, her head turning a little so that our faces were barely inches apart. The air crackled around us, the tension heightened. I subconsciously licked my lips, just as Bella did the same. I could feel her heart beating through the back of her chest, almost as if it was trying to communicate with mine. Thud thud thud - Thud thud thud - Thud thud thud. For every beat mine thud in response, 'I can hear you, I can feel you, you're not alone, I'm with you. Always' Thud thud thud - Thud thud thud - Thud thud thud.

Her eyes shone, I felt like I was getting a glimpse at her soul, I wished I could move in, it's beautiful. We'd subconsciously moved closer, her warm breaths flushing across my face, mine fluttering over her cheeks in response. A beautiful blush steadily spread across her features, adding to her already unparalleled beauty.

Our chests rose and fell in unison, our breaths mingled and danced a silent and sultry tango, but I couldn't look away from her, she'd captured my vision and if I looked away I was certain my heart would break.

"Bella..." I sighed.

"Edward..." she responded breathlessly.

Her nose tickled mine slightly, almost like a tentative Eskimo kiss.

"What are you doing to me Bella?" I breathed.

"I don't know, but I don't think I can stop," she responded inching closer still.

"Then don't," I said taking her full bottom lip between mine and closing the distance. Her eyes fluttered closed as I sucked on her lip, her body turned in my embrace, fitting into mine like that missing piece of a puzzle. Her hands moved up to hold my face to her own as she returned the gesture and pulled my top lip between her own. I don't know how long we stood there on the bottom step, it could've been minutes or hours, or years, I know I didn't want to be anywhere else. What I do know is this was more than just simple affection, more than a kinship forged by two survivors of a traumatic incident.  The bond was strong, the feelings while confusing were just more, so much more. Her kiss was more than a kiss, it was life giving, breathtaking, heart-warming, heart stealing, and it was everything. I felt it from the tip of my fingers to the tips of my toes, my hair felt like it surged with electricity, my body vibrated from the feel of it. There was nothing casual about it, it was all encompassing, sensual, loving, affectionate, needful, longing, home. 

It was like coming home.

The feel of Bella's fingers as the moved from my face and into my hair, was like being tazed, electricity jolted through me, it was both pleasure and pain and I needed more of it. I was aware we had something to do, but for the life of me I couldn't think what. Her tongue was languidly stroking mine and all thought and reason was long gone. We only stopped for breaths, her forehead resting against my own, as we gulped for air. I couldn't let her go, for the first time in a long time I felt right.

"Edward?" she whispered to me.

"Yeah?"

"We should go."

The bubble burst and my focus came back, we were meant to be scouting the area. I knew it had to be done, but I wanted to be here, kissing Bella. I lifted a hand and scrubbed my face trying to shake the fogginess that had covered my mind.

"Yeah, I guess we should get going, um..."

Bella giggled beside me, my arm still wrapped around her, a grin spreading across her pink flushed face. "Perhaps we can pick up where we left off when we get back Edward."

I sighed and grinned at her in response, hugging her tightly to me and placing a small kiss just behind her ear. "I think I would like that very much," I said with a smile.

"Me too," she responded.

I bent and grabbed the back pack from the bottom of the stairs; taking her hand in mine I led her to the back door that lead out to the garage. The two ATVs sat side by side, the large treaded wheels dominating the parking area. I slung the bag onto the equipment frame attached to the back of the vehicle. Bella remained standing beside the door. I moved back to her side, brushing a hair behind her ear I motioned for her to climb onto the back of the ATV.

"I figured you'd feel a bit safer riding with me. I'll be just a second; I'm going to set the alarm," I said moving just inside the door and swiping the panel hidden inside the water heater cabinet.

I returned to Bella's side, ensuring she was sitting comfortably astride the large vehicle. I grabbed a helmet from one of the many cabinets that lined the rear of the garage and handed it to her, before turning back and grabbing one for myself. They had fitted mic's so that we could talk over the sound of the engine. Once I was satisfied I had done all I could I locked the back door and gunned the throttle to speed from the garage.

We did a circuit of the property first, the cabin was larger than I realised from the inside. The surrounding grounds were complimentary and relatively untouched so that they fit in with the surrounding forest. As we crossed the boundary into the woodland I flicked a switch on the handlebars enabling intruder detection. It really was beautiful here and despite the need to learn the area, I tried to appreciate the time spent with Bella.

The terrain from the back of the property was hard going, even on the ATV. It was obvious that the area back here was rarely walked on by anything other than animals. That suited me fine; it gave me a bigger sense of safety. The feel of Bella pressed against my back as we navigated our way through the forest was indescribable, it was too much and not enough all rolled into one package. Numerous times I had the urge to just stop out here in the wilderness and kiss her some more; the only thing that over shadowed that urge was the need to protect her at all costs. That included my inner seventeen year old clawing its way out. I rolled my eyes at myself, my inner monologue was bordering on the ridiculous.

We eventually reached the shore of the lake, the scenery was amazing, I really wanted us to not be here for the reasons that we were. I wanted to really enjoy this place with Bella, get to know her quirks, see things how she sees them, but the bitter truth is that as much as I wanted to 'play house' the shadow of the Volturi was constantly taunting our heels. I sighed inwardly, promising myself that if we got out of this unscathed we'd come back here and enjoy it for what it is and not as a place to hide. I slowed the ATV alongside the wooden dock that stretched out from the shore, three boats bobbed on the water, tied to the slipway. I spotted ours almost immediately, the black Bayliner sat towards the end of the dock, thankfully not out of place among the other two boats sharing the mooring.

"Want to take a ride?" I asked.

"Sure, where too?" Bella responded.

"We have an equipment cache nearby, and we could pick up something to eat while we check it out," I replied with a grin. Please say yes.

"Okay."

"Great, come on, sooner we get on the boat, sooner we get there," I said rubbing my hands together eagerly.

Bella grinned at me, stepping off the ATV with a grace I didn't think she possessed. I followed suit, grabbing our back pack and taking her hand in mine. Bella cocked an eyebrow at me, her face flushing lightly as I lead her down the wooden dock towards the boat. I helped Bella step over the side and into the boat, directing her to take a seat while I grabbed the fore and aft ropes and untied us from the dock. Once we were free, I moved back to the cockpit and started the engine; I gently coaxed us away from the dock before punching the throttle and speeding us out onto the lake.

Boat traffic was light, it was still early in the day and the sun hadn't started to heat the water yet, I had little doubt that our return journey would be noisier. The boat handled beautifully and with little effort as I navigated us across the water. Bella was silent from her seat to my side, but I could see the cogs turning behind her eyes. I had no doubts that she was remembering and logging everything. For that I was thankful, I only hoped that she wouldn't be in a position to need to use the knowledge she was picking up on her own, but if the need arose, I at least knew that she would have a better chance of getting out alive.

"Where we heading?" she asked, breaking me from my internal musing.

"A small cove called Woods Bay, the U.S 35 runs alongside, it's our rally point if we get separated and need to make a hasty exit."

"I know we need to have a plan, but the thought of being separated doesn't bear thinking about," Bella said with a shudder.

"Yeah, but we have to cover all of our bases. There's a small inn in Woods Bay, it's called the Islander, and we have motorbikes there should we need to get out quick. No matter what if the worst happens, take one, don't hole up at the Inn, I'll always find you Bella, I promise," I said running a finger down her cheek.

Bella nodded with a slight smile.

"Okay enough with the sad stuff, you want to drive?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, really. Come on..." I said patting the seat between my legs.

Bella moved from her seat and nestled between my legs, she looked over her shoulder at me, her eyes wide, her lip firmly caught between her teeth. I leant forward and tugged it loose with my finger. I throttled back, so that I wouldn't have to shout over the roar of the engines.

"It's just like driving a car Bella, you steer and I'll control the throttle until you feel okay with it."

"Okay, what direction?" she replied.

"Keep heading east; see that building on the shore?" I asked pointing, Bella nodded, "Keep heading for it till I tell you otherwise."

I pushed the throttle forward again, and the engines roared as we built up speed and moved across the lake. Bella soon settled into the seat and eased her hands on the wheel, she no longer had a death grip and the change in her face told me everything. She was enjoying the freedom the water gave us. Before long the shoreline loomed closer and I directed Bella to steer towards the small jetty. Once we were moored I helped her off the boat and we walked hand in hand up the jetty towards the sidewalk. The Island Inn was a short walk away, but I needed to show Bella where the bikes are and also the cache too.

After a short detour, we'd seen everything was set up adequately and I felt a whole lot better knowing we had an exit strategy should the worst happen. Bella still had a firm hold on my hand, it was almost as if she was afraid that if she let go I would disappear. She couldn't be further from the truth; I had no intention of being away from her ever again. Well if I had my way at least. I let go of her hand and wrapped my arm around her shoulder pulling her in to me, she took the hint and wound her arm around my waist and we strode towards the inn.

"Let's get something to eat before we head back, I believe I promised you a meal," I said clutching her tightly to me.

"Sounds good to me," she replied as we strode through the door of the inn and headed for the restaurant.

********

It was late afternoon as we approached the rear of the cabin; the sounds of woodland critters moving around us were the only sounds we could hear over the dull roar of the ATV. We'd had a good day out on the water, and despite the need to know the area for our own safety it felt more intimate almost like a date. Thinking like that wouldn't help matters, I shrugged it off. There was nothing normal about the situation we found ourselves in. The feel of Bella pressed against my back was nothing short of heavenly, if I could stay like this forever I'd be a happy man.

The cabin soon appeared out of the trees and I clicked the button for the garage, driving the ATV straight in and hitting the door mechanism once more before cutting the engine. Bella hopped off the back and stretched, her top rising with her arms revealing a tantalising glimpse of pale skin. It's like a switch was flipped and before I had time to think I was off the ATV and had Bella up against the wall beside the backdoor, and was attacking her mouth with my own. Whimpers and moans reverberated around the garage, I'm not sure if they were from her or me. We were a rush of hands and mouths as we fought to devour each other.

We broke away gasping for air, Bella's hair was all over the place, her mouth was red from the pressure I'd exerted with my own, her face flushed, her eyes wide and sparkling with mirth. I was suddenly struck with a shock and a hint of shame for practically attacking her. I lowered my head, running my hands into my hair and tugging the ends violently. I wouldn't be surprised if she told me to stay away from her from now on.

A giggle broke me from wallowing in self pity and remorse. I looked up to see Bella stood against the wall, eyeing me with a predatory look in her eyes.

"Stop over thinking Edward, I didn't say stop. Now will you please open the door so that we can continue this somewhere I bit more comfortable than up against a wall."

No comments:

Post a Comment