Saturday 7 May 2011

Chapter 14 - 24th June 2010 - Bourtzi, Nafplion


 
BPOV

Pain, complete, utter agony, that pretty well sums up what I was feeling right now. I tried so hard to stretch, but my muscles clenched in pain, I'm sure I groaned out loud. I stifled my sounds, fearful that they would come back and torture me some more. Has it only been 9 days? The room smelt of blood and death, no doubt a precursor to my own fate. I cracked open an eye, fearful of what I would see, are they in here, staying quiet, waiting for me to show signs of life? Am I alone again? Did they take Edward away? Nothing, nothing but darkness, dampness and blood, I expect the blood is mine.

"Bella?" a whisper.

"Edward?"

"Yeah, how you doing? I can't see you."

"A bit of pain, but I'm alive right? where are you Edward?"

"Centre of the room Bella, I'm bound to a chair."

"Oh, I was kind of hoping you were running a bath and ordering take out." humour, well it was worth a try eh.

"Silly Bella."

"Hey Edward?"

"Yeah?"

"How long have they been gone?"

"Oh a few hours, you had me worried you know."

"You worry too much Edward; it'll take more than garden variety torture to finish me off."

"That's good to know, although it doesn't stop me from worrying about you."

"Hey Edward?"

"Yeah Bella?"

"You're not really the Asshole I thought you were."

"Oh er... thanks?"

"It's a compliment Edward." I laughed quietly.

"Good to know, hey Bella, are you still tied? Are you able to move at all?"

"Oh um, I'm still tied, although it’s pretty loose now, I think I could probably crawl to you, what's the plan?"

"Oh you know, break out, kick some ass, take the girl to dinner." he joked. "In all seriousness, do you think you could follow my voice to me?"

"Yeah, you just need to direct me."

"Great, first thing, see if you can shrug out of your bonds, then I'll need you to roll onto your back then on to your right side, that'll bring you to face me."

I shook my arms lightly the ties at my wrists slackened more and I managed to slip free of them, thankful that whoever had tied them had done a poor job. I sucked in a deep breath and slowly rolled over, the pain in my ribs seemingly worse than the agony I felt from the wounds on my back. Dots flickered across my eyes as I fought my body's need to pass out again. I held in the scream that wanted to fight out, replacing it with another deep breath and a grimace.

"You're doing great Bella, ok I need you to turn your body 90 degrees to your left so that you're directly in my line of sight, think of it like being a clock face, I need you to move from the 3 to the 12."

"Ok, what's next?" I breathed out while forcing my legs to push me around. A groan escaped me as my side hit an uneven patch of ground.

"Now you come to me, take it slow Bella, I don't want you to hurt yourself."

I bit my lip to hold in the smile that threatened to appear, we're going to get out, I know it. Slowly and with extra care not to put too much weight on my ribs, I slid across the stone floor to Edward, it felt like it took forever, but I soon found myself resting against his legs. The dots were back, damn the dreaded dots, it was like a disco behind my eyelids. I leant back against Edwards legs; his presence enough to remind me that hope wasn't yet lost. He allowed me the time to recover, no doubt taking note of my condition while he waited for me to show readiness for the next step in his plan. The feeling of light headedness was growing and I didn't want to dwell on what that meant for me. I forced myself to move, hoping Edward would take that as his cue to tell me what to do.

"You did really well Bella, I need you to loosen my legs."

"Ok," I replied quietly, my breaths getting shallower. I shook my head to help me focus.

I felt along Edwards’ legs, down his shins, to his ankles, they'd been tightly bound to the chair legs, I felt my way around the heavy chord and tugged it loose. Edward groaned in appreciation.

"God Bella, you don't know how good it feels to actually get the feeling back in my feet."

"I have an idea." I responded with a smirk. "So what's next?" I tried to lighten my tone; I needed him to see I had every intention of making it out of here. I didn't want to be left behind. 'Don't be silly Bella; they never leave a man behind.'

"Ok, I need you to crawl behind me and loosen my wrists; it'll be a good place for you to hide should they come back before you're done."

Per Edwards’ advice I crawled behind the chair he'd been bound to, I soon found the ropes that they had used to hold him to the chair and worked to loosen them. Whoever had tied them had no intention of allowing him to get out without help. The rope gradually slackened and Edward flexed his wrists as I gently unwound the ropes. Once his arms were free I slumped against the chair, exhausted. He was quickly at my side, his hands ghosting over me, I'm guessing he was assessing my injuries. I hissed as he made contact with my back. He drew his hand back suddenly and then almost an instant later I felt material slipping over my head. He'd removed his own shirt and put it on me. It was getting more and more difficult to breathe, and I was fighting a losing battle to remain conscious. The pain in my ribs was joined by pain in my chest, not that it made much difference to me, everything else hurt already, what's one more thing?

"Edward," I sighed, "You don't need to do that, I'm fine, just tired is all."

"Bella I... I don't know how you're still going, I can only guess it's adrenalin, sweetheart, with the number of injuries you're sporting, you should be unconscious."

"I always have been stubborn." I replied breathlessly, my energy levels crashing exponentially.

"Sleep Bella, I'm going to get us somewhere safe." were the last words I heard as I succumbed to the numbness.

*~*~*~*~*~
EPOV

There's something to be said for being stubborn, from my brief observation of her injuries she should be dead, or at least unconscious right now. I flexed my limbs a slight pull in my shoulder reminded me of the stab wound there, nothing I've not had to deal with before. If this girl can survive the extreme beatings and various tortures she'd endured over the past nine days, then a couple of stab wounds that I had suffered meant nothing. I had the training for this, yet in this moment I had nothing but the utmost awe and respect for the young woman, her strength, both mental and physical was incredible.

Standing from the chair I crept across the room, the door was still locked, a problem, but at the same time that meant I had a bit more leeway to plan our escape. I took stock of our surroundings. The room was relatively small, dirt floor, stone walls, no windows, so we were either in the middle of somewhere or below ground. Feeling the walls, they felt cool to touch; I could hear the sound of water behind them. That was an interesting development; did that mean we're surrounded by water or that they have leaking pipes?

So much to consider.

The room was poorly furnished, two wooden chairs, the one I'd been tied to and Bella's. The wet sack from her water boarding was tossed haphazardly on the floor. Seeing it made me sick to my stomach. How could they do that to her? Bella groaned. Instantly I was at her side, she'd slipped into a restless slumber almost immediately after untying me. Her breathing was ragged, her skin terribly pale beneath the bruises.

"Don't give in Bella; you've so much to live for."

She shuddered under my gaze, I'm unsure whether it's due to being cold or if she's in pain. Of course she's in pain, the poor woman's been tortured for nine days.

I knelt beside her, torn with my need to continually check that she's ok. Alive and breathing.

I feel protective of her, of course, that's my job. This feeling is more though, it's not a duty, it's a need. I need to know that she is fine. I need to know that she is alive. I need to know that she is still breathing. I need to get her out of here. I need to know that she is safe.

So I focus, because if I'm going to fulfil my need to protect, then I need to work on getting her out of here. I give Bella one lingering look, her breathing is still ragged, but the groans of pain have settled to a raspy sound of sleep. I stand from her side and take a slow methodical walk around the room. The more I walk, the more it becomes clear that it's not a room, it's a cell. The stone walls appear to be aged, damp and have mould growing on them. The sound of water no longer resembles pipes, so we must be surrounded by water. That could be a help and a hindrance. I walk over to the wooden door. On closer inspection I can determine that it's made from heavy wood, possibly oak, although tree's never were my forte.

There's a gap below the door, if only I could work out how thick it is, then perhaps we can bust out of here. Of course if that little shit of a guard came back alone, I wouldn't need to bust the door, just his head.

So... I think to myself. Plan A, wait for the guard to come back, hope he's alone, bust his head, grab the girl and make our getaway. Simple enough.
A weapon would be good; I cast my eyes around the room again. Bella's chair is already broken, and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. So I twist and tug on the legs of the broken chair and arm myself with two thin batons. Every little helps.

What to do with Bella, while I'm taking out the guard. I look around, while I consider my options. I really don't want her put in unnecessary danger, I can leave her in the middle of the room behind my chair or I can drag her to a darkened corner. If I leave her in the middle, she'll be exposed, but she'll make excellent bait.

*~*~*~*~*~


25th June 2010 - Bourtzi - Nafplion

EPOV.

I leant against the cold hard wall beside the door. Waiting, I'd been waiting like this for the past half hour, but no-one had come. I was becoming more and more concerned that they had decided to just leave us here to rot. Bella was still curled up on the floor behind the chair. Her breathes laboured in her sleep. She hadn't stirred or made any noises since she had all but collapsed once she'd helped untie my bonds. She was my biggest concern in all this. My plan relied on the hope that that podgy guard from before returned to check on us alone. It would be the shortest escape attempt ever if that didn't happen. We were both injured, sure, she was worse off than me, but I was well aware of my own weakened state from days of ill treatment. I wouldn't call what I'd been through torture when compared to Bella.

Footsteps.

This is it, there's no turning back now. Please be just the one guard.
I press myself back against the wall, taking one last glance across the room to Bella. Please don't move sweetheart.
The footsteps get closer, the steady thud across the cobbled floor outside the cell tells me it's the podgy guard. It strikes me as funny and somewhat clichéd that there always seems to be a podgy bad guy. I tense as I hear the sound of keys, I maintain a fighting stance, the two wooden batons raised in my hands ready to hopefully pummel the guard and get us out of here. The lock clicks as the guard turns the key. This is it. Slowly the door opens and the centre of the room is illuminated by the dim lighting coming from the hallway. The guard makes straight for Bella’s prone form on the floor ahead of him. This is my chance.

I stealthily stalk behind him as he approaches her, raising the batons over my head in one swift movement, I crash them down either side of his neck, he lets out a muffled 'Ooof' and crumples to the floor. I hit him again just to be sure. I can't have him waking up any time soon. Using the ropes that had bound me to the chair I bind his wrists behind his back, before removing the 9mm pistol holstered under his armpit. I quickly do a body search for any more weapons or even ammo for the gun, finding only a large keyring and two ammo clips. Time is of the essence, I'm aware it won't be long before someone comes to investigate and I'm eager to get Bella out of here.

I hear the sound of heavy door opening and closing, and voices drift through the hallway outside. That seals my decision to get us moving. I move swiftly to Bella's side and lift her in my arms. She groans a little but snuggles into my chest.

"We're getting out of here Bella. I need you to stay quiet." I whisper to her, she whimpers in acknowledgement.

One last look around the cell and I exit into the hallway, stopping only to close the door. Hopefully this will put anyone off learning of our escape before we're long gone.

There's doors dotted along the hallways at intervals, I move silently along, listening at each one, painfully aware of the voices still heading our way. My heart is beating furiously in my chest, the adrenalin pumping through my veins, my fight or flight mechanism is battering me for release. I try one more door; it opens to a cramped spiral staircase. The voices are accompanied by footsteps now; this may be our only chance. I can just make out clips of conversation as I slip through the door and swiftly close it behind us.

"James, I told you to not touch the Swan woman, Jane has been tasked with dealing with her. I trust that you'll refrain from trying my patience further..."

We daren't hang around, to listen to them planning there next round of torture, I have no doubts that anymore will kill Bella. I hold her close to my chest and she snuggles deeper into my embrace as I carefully descend the stairs. I'm sure by now the whole place will have been alerted to our escape; it'll only be a matter of time before they search down here. As I reach the bottom of the stairs the cramped space opens up into a covered dock. Today may just be our lucky day. There's three speedboats moored and what appears to be small submersible, what on earth would they want that for?

A plan started to form in my mind, the sub could either be a godsend or our downfall.

I lower Bella to the floor beside the mooring for the sub. Taking a good look at the dock, I see that there is a station towards the bottom of the stairs that holds keys for the boats, not that they'll be able to use them when I'm done. I plan to scupper them, although may hold one back incase the sub is a no go. I swiftly move and take every available key from the station, I search the drawers and cubby holes for anything else that may be of use, I'd kill for a map right now. I don't have the time to look to thoroughly, I know it won't be long before someone comes here looking for us.

I run back to the sub, thank heavens it's a model I'm familiar with, it's similar to Grumman/Picards PX-15, has 4 electric motors and runs on a shit ton of lead batteries. I jump across the hull to the air lock entry. Quickly spinning the wheel to open the hatch, with one quick glance at Bella I drop into the sub. I flick switches and it comes to life, thank fuck for that. I climb back out and head over to the boats, cutting fuel lines and setting up an improvised ied using the emergency flares. If they do decide to try to follow us, all they'll get is blown to hell. I head back to Bella's side and gently lift her to my chest. She stirs minutely, a shudder runs through her body and she whimpers in pain.

"Okay Bella, we're almost out, hold on for me." I whisper into her hair.

I step off the dock onto the hull of the sub and gently lower Bella through the hatch, before casting the bowline and severing our tie to the dock. As I drop through the hatch, my feet landing either side of Bella's slumped form, I can feel the hope building in me. I've been in tough spots before, but this, this has been all kinds of fucked up. I reach up to close the hatch, before picking up Bella once more and laying her on a bunk close to what appears to be a comm station. That may just prove to be helpful, once we get out of here.

I move back to the pilots seat, I quickly familiarise myself with the controls, it's been a few years since I've played in one of these. I think when I get back I may have to suggest implementing it as standard procedure in refreshers. I need to concentrate on the now, I clutch the thrust and gently ease it forwards, while flipping various switches to flood the bilges. The sub begins to gently sink, unlike its predecessor, instead of 29 portholes; it has a 12inch thick bubble window at the front, forming a sort of cockpit. Steering is easy enough; thank heavens for playstation and xbox! A joystick either side of me control the 4 motors and the steering rudders. I push forwards on the right joystick and we move ahead at a good steady speed. The walls of the underground dock come into view ahead of us; I decide to follow them in hope of finding a way out. I knew I should've looked before jumping in to the sub. We reach what appears to be a set of large iron doors; a panel sits just below where I've slowed us to float in neutral buoyancy. Fuck! We don't have time for me to get out and swim to release the doors, but they need to be opened or we'll be stuck here.

I scrub my hands through my hair, tugging sharply on the ends. A flashing light on the 'flight' consol draws my attention. After closer inspection I release what it says, or what it is. The button below it has the words secure dock doors. It must be wired as a beacon receiver for the door panel. Of course, it would be impractical to have to jump out of the sub to open the doors. I shake my head to myself. Idiot.

I flick the switch and grasp the joysticks in preparation of the vacuum that will hit us once the doors start to open. I'm not disappointed, the sub is rocked by the thousands of litres of sea water that batter and bash the hull. I keep the sub steady until the doors are fully open and the tide of incoming water has abated. I push forward on the joystick, urging the sub through the entry and out into open water. A series of explosions behind us remind me that we're not out of danger yet. We may not be for some time.

The water here is quite clear and I can see a good distance ahead of us, that's both good and bad. If I can see, then they can see too. I'm glad this sub isn't yellow; we really would be sitting ducks otherwise. I steer us steadily through the water, heading out into the darker blue, the deep right now is our only friend. I can only hope that they don't have another sub. I flood the bilge further, allowing us to sink into a trench, I dim the outside lights and set the sub to drift. Just like the Grumman, this sub floats gently in the neutral buoyancy of the tidal streams. Time to check out what I've got us into. I really didn't have the time before.

There are three stations in the sub, the pilots’ cockpit, a navigation station and a comm station. Towards the rear, there are three bunks, one occupied by Bella, medical supplies; food rations a small pump toilet and a wet entry, with scuba gear. That could prove useful. I grab the medical bag from the rack along with a bottle of water and move to Bella's side, I pull out a portable oxygen tank and fit the mask over her face, before turning the dial to send the oxygen through the tubing. The equipment in the bag is basic at best, but it'll do, until we can find a doctor or a hospital. I take the time to check the injuries to her wrists and ankles from being tied, her skin is cut angrily around her wrists, she obviously struggled. I'm pissed at what she's been through. I gently clean the wounds I can see. I really need to see her back, but feel I want her awake when I do so, I don't think she'll appreciate some stranger messing with her while she's out of it. I clean her face, her cheeks are heavily bruised and her eyes are swollen. After I've done what I can for now, I stand and move to the navigation table, there are a few charts spread across the table and a radar/sonar. The charts appear to be of Greece, Italy and the Mediterranean. I guess that narrows down where in the world we are.

One thing’s for sure, we're not in the US.

The comm station is similar, there's a clipboard with various uhf and vhf serials a standard radio setup and heavy computer that I guess works as a data receiver. I take a swig of the water; it's like heaven in a bottle. Having gone for so long without food or water, I appreciate every swallow. The sound of Bella coughing through the mask draws my attention from the elixir. I move immediately to her side, twisting the gauge on the oxygen tank and gently securing the mask to her face as her eyes flutter open. She starts to move, but I lightly push her shoulder to encourage her to stay on the bunk.

"Stay still Bella, we're safe, for now." I say.

"Edward?" she mumbles drowsily. Still slightly out of it.

"Hey," I say with a smile. "There you are."

She smiles lightly at me, before grimacing in pain. Her eyes close and she breathes in through her nose and out through her mouth a few times. I rub her shoulder trying to comfort her.

"Where are we?" she barely whispers.

"Well it's sort of a long drawn out story, full of fighting and intrigue, but right now, we're in a small submersible, somewhere near Italy or Greece, I've not really narrowed that bit down... yet." I reply.

"Thas nice, I could murder a glass of Ouzo." She mumbles.

"Sorry Bella, no Ouzo, but I do have some mighty fine Aqua." I reply with a grin.

"Aqua sounds good." She says breathlessly.

"Okay Bella, a few sips then I need to look at your back, and you need more rest."

She doesn't argue, I hold the bottle to her lips while cradling her in my other arm in order to lift her slightly.

"Gently Bella, it's not a race." I admonish her trying to gulp the water. "You'll make yourself ill if you take too much too soon."

She slows her gulping and sips slowly, nodding when I remove the bottle. "Better?" I ask.

"Much." she replies finally looking at me with her deep soulful eyes.

"So do you feel fit enough for me to check your back out? It needs cleaning so you don't get an infection." I ask keeping my voice gentle.

"If you can help me turn, my ribs are painful and I don't know how long I'll be able to take laying on them."

"Sorry Bella, if I'd just answered them, you wouldn't be in this state." I reply glumly.

"Master Chief?" She says with fire in her eyes, it's the first time she's said it since that day in Mclean.

"Yes?"

"Don't you dare shoulder the blame for this, don't you dare. I would take that beating again and again if it meant the people I love at home remained safe because of our silence. So don't you dare."

"Yes ma'am." I respond. Her bravery and conviction leave me in awe.

"You know as well as I do that the moment either of us cracked, we'd be dead. So don't you dare."

"I'm still sorry Bella; it should've been me taking the beating, not you."

"Well, what's done is done; right now I think we need to concentrate on finding our way home. Don't you agree?"

"Absolutely." I respond.

"So ugh, your back... I umm... I need to remove the shirt; I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"Edward?"

"Yeah?"

"You seeing my girls is the least of my worries right now." she chuckles. The light dancing in her eyes, I've not seen it since that meeting ten days ago. Seeing it now, tells me, that maybe things are going to be fine after all.

"Bella, sometimes you astound me, you never say what I think you will."

"Good to know, now how about you help me out of this shirt so you can get to fixing me up, then maybe I can do something useful."

"Or you could just rest." I reply.

"Or I could do something useful, like hack that computer over there. Consider it earning my keep."

"Okay, but nothing more strenuous, and you will rest. I will happily trank you if you push your luck."

"Okay sailor, do your worst." she responds with a wink.

"Bella Swan you will be the death of me."

"I do hope not, you promised me dinner once we got out of that hell hole. I expect you to deliver."

I chuckle under my breath; I look back at her shaking my head, before lifting the medical bag back to the bunk. She eyes the bag warily. I raise an eyebrow in question.

"I have a bit of a phobia for all things medical," she responds.

"I promise I've got all my certifications and here, my hands are warm." I answer with a grin.

"Surely not! a medic with warm hands, blasphemy!" she answers jokily.

I shrug and gesture to my oversize shirt; it's more like a dress on her.

"Come on Swan off with the shirt, time for the girls to get an airing." I say with a smirk.

The blush that spreads down her face and into the shirt is adorable and bright pink.

"You know for someone with such a cocky mouth, you sure do blush easy Swan."

"Don't start Cullen, I'm only letting you do this, ‘because I don't want to die in this submersible coffin."

"Sure thing Bella, if you say so. Off we go." I say as I help her tug the shirt over her head.

She immediately covers her chest with her hands, as goose bumps spring up over her pale skin. I slowly reach for her shoulder with one hand, her waist with the other and help her roll to her front. I place the oxygen mask to her side.

"Take it if you need it Bella." I speak into her ear. She nods against my head in response.

I gently move her hair over her shoulder, finally able to take in the state of her back. I suck in a gasp, so as not to upset her. Her back is crisscrossed with dark, deep angry welts, the skin is red raw, the pain must be immense. Bruises of varying ages and sizes intermingle with the lacerations, I've seen a lot of abhorrent things, but this makes the bile rise up in my mouth, I have to fight the urge to heave and swallow it back down. I pull out a vial of morphine and a syringe from the bag, hoping it'll rid her of the pain, or at least numb it.

"You're going to need some stitches Bella, I'll be as quick as I can, I'm going to give you a shot of morphine to numb the pain."

She grimaces and reaches for the oxygen mask, I turn the dial for her and she gulps at the air. I lightly touch her shoulder, hoping to offer some comfort. A quick shot of morphine and I eventually hear her sigh as the drug does its thing. I work fast cleaning and stitching the gashes in her back, before covering them with gauze. It still looks painful and angry, but not nearly as bad as before. Bella has fallen asleep by the time I'm done with her back; I put it down to a mixture of drug, oxygen and over all fatigue. I take the opportunity to clean the rest of her. Her shoulders and neck are caked in blood and dirt from the floor of the cell, her hair could do with a wash, I might suggest using the wet entry to her when she's more with it. I dig out an ace bandage from the bag and wrap her torso, hopefully that will ease the pressure from her ribs; I felt at least one break.

I avoid turning her over, as much for her dignity as my own mind. I'm well aware that she's a beautiful woman, and being stuck in this sub is going to be a big enough test of my skills, without bringing the manners my own ma gave me into play. I pull out the foil blanket that is standard in most medical bags and wrap it around her, leaving her to sleep. I place the t-shirt beside her hand for her to put on when she awakens and head over to the navigation station. I need to get a better idea of where we are.

I can do this. Hell it's my specialist area, besides being a medic. It's just a bit more technical to work out when you're underwater. Give me a random mountain any day. I scratch the back of my neck as I look over the charts; none of them are marked with anything that could help. What was I looking for? Did I think they'd have a big yellow arrow and a you are here printed on them? No but I do have radar!

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Why I didn't think of checking the radar is beyond me that would have our current co-ordinates and location of any vessels in the area. I seriously need to get a grip of myself. I take a seat and flick the switch on the radar. The familiar green on black appears in front of me, followed by unfamiliar coastline and a few large blips heading in our direction. Shit!

Think!

I look out of the cockpit window. We're under a ledge, but barely 300ft down, if they have sonar and depth charges we're fucked. If I turn everything off, bar the radar, we may just get away with a minor displacement ping and they'll overlook us. It's the only chance really, if we move now, they'll know we're here. I flip the switches to the motors and everything goes quiet. I move quietly to Bella, taping her shoulder lightly and gesturing with my finger to my lips for her to remain quiet. I turn off the oxygen, hoping that she'll not need it for a few minutes. The tight compartment is dark, the only light coming from the radar. I flip the switch to ensure no sound comes from it or the sonar and we watch it in silence. Our gazes intently on the three large dots approaching us. Bella's hand grazes my own and I wrap my fingers through hers. We take comfort in the feel of the warmth from our palms. If this is our last few moments, at least we'd gotten out of that hell first. Bella's eyes go wide as the first blip goes overhead. I clench her hand in mine, hoping to reassure her. She leans against me in response. The second blip passes over and continues on its path to who knows where.

Only one more, I pray to every deity I can think of, please just let us have this one more bit of luck. I think Bella's praying just as hard. The third dot is slowing. We both grimace at the radar imagery. Figures with our luck that it was too much to ask for. It stops slightly off to our starboard side. If they've found us, it's not due to anything we've done. They must be following a plan. We need to take control, I gesture for Bella to follow me to the rear of the cabin. I hand her a wetsuit. I lean in to her ear.

"Just in case." I murmur.

She nods and starts to tug her pants off. I barely register that she doesn't have the shirt on. I begin pulling off my own pants and tugging on the neoprene suit. I grab a flashlight from the equipment cage and see what else is there. I find diving knives, a diving watch, spear gun and masks. Everything I would've expected. I attach a knife to my thigh and a second to my arm. The gun I clip to a diving belt. Bella does the same. I grab the diving masks, tanks and fins and lay them close to the wet entry. I look around some more and find an emergency kit, complete with inflatable raft and water proofed rations, radio and all manner of survival essentials. I pull it out and place that alongside the scuba gear.

"Have you ever dived before?"I ask quietly.

She nods. Thank heavens for that.

"How deep?"

"75 metres and I have open water cert." she responds.

"Okay that we can work with."

We move back into the main part of the cabin, it's dark and the radar screen casts an eerie glow over everything. Bella holds on to my bicep like it’s a life raft and I let her, if I can give her any sense of safety right now, then I'm prepared to give what I can. We edge forwards slowly, trying our hardest not to make a sound. I get her to sit at the navigation station while I move to the front cockpit and prepare to move us if we need to blow ballast and get this sub up.

We watch with rapt attention as the blip moves in a pattern across the radar, it's following a standard search grid. I was right, they're figuring out where we are. I turn my head to Bella.

"If I give you the nod, I need you to move quickly to the wet entry and open the hatch." I say.

"But won't that make the sub unstable?" she responds. Damn she's smart.

"Bella, if it's gotten to that point, blowing the hatch and making the sub unstable is the least of our worries. We won't have time to pressurise the sub, so we'll need to get out as quick as we can, then I'll blow the ballast and the sub will rocket to the surface. Hopefully it'll give us time to get away, before they realise we're not in there."

"And if you don't blow the ballast quick enough?"

"Let’s not think about it." I respond with a dark look. I really don't like the idea of being anywhere close to a sub implosion.

"Shit!" She responds. I guess there was no explanation necessary.

"Yeah, shit indeed." I mutter to myself.

We watch with bated breath as the blip travels its grid pattern above us. Praying that it'll not slow to stop and force our hand. It moves in a continuous up and down pattern for an hour, my heart is practically in my mouth, my hands are clammy and clench and unclench in frustration and concern. Apparently it finds nothing to alert it to our position and begins to move off towards the other blips. We both breathe out in relief.

"What now?" Bella whispers at me.

"We stay here a bit longer, if we move off before they're out of range, they'll come back."

"Okay, and if they do come back?"

"We stick to the original plan." I reply.

Bella nods and looks back at the radar. Seconds later she looks back at me.

"Did you get round to working out our location?"

"No, read off the co-ordinates on the bottom of the screen and I'll see if I can match them to one of the charts." I respond, moving to stand at her side.
"37°34'11.06"N and  22°47'24.98"E." She reads out.

I pull out the larger chart and follow the co-ordinates, Bourtzi, Nafplion - Greece. "Well I didn't expect to be there."

"Why not, it's as good a place as any for bad guys to hide out." She responds. I have to admit she's right.

"I guess so, it's just Bourtzi is more suited to tourists than criminals." I respond.

"That's what makes it perfect, it's unassuming, and the last place you'd expect to find them."

"I always knew you were a genius Bella." I quip.

"Edward..." Bella groans.

"Yeah?"

"Quit with the flattery, it's really not you." She answers with a smirk.

"Oh I don't know, I can be charming when I want to." I reply.

"Keep your mind on the game plan Cullen." She retorts, nudging my shoulder with her own, telling me she's not really mad at my banter.

"Mind on the game plan, yup gotcha." I mock salute.

She rolls her eyes at me, but I can see her shoulders shrugging in silent laughter.

"Okay, serious question. As we're as safe as we can be right now, as long as the blips don't head back this way, where are we heading?"

"I'm thinking if we can move out of this canyon, we can hug the coast around the island and find a small cove so we can hit land and get home."

"We've no money or passports, or anything, no idea where the nearest military base or consulate office is, how do we get home?"

"We've operated in the area before, if my memory serves me well, there's an equipment cache on Spetses, and we just need to get there." I answered.

"Then?"

"We call the cavalry to come get us." I reply leaning back on Bella's bunk, my hands clasped behind my head.

"So for now, we wait?"

I nod, "Now we wait."

Bella turned back to the radar, before looking across to the comm station and eyeing the computer. I knew she was eager to get into it, but I daren't chance it notifying them of our location somehow.

"I know," she said sadly, "It's just the chance of it having useful intel is burning into my brain."

"What about removing the disk and taking it with us?" I suggested.

"It's worth a try; it may be the piece to the puzzle that blows this all open. Got a screw driver handy?"

I smirked at her eagerness, barely hours ago; she was practically unconscious and as close to death as I could cope with. Now she was vibrating at the idea of taking apart electronics.

"Here," I said, handing her a multi tool I'd found.

"Awesome." she answered practically bouncing to the comm station.

I moved to the navigation station and watched the radar screen. The blips continued to move in their search pattern to the north of us. I was eager to get out of here at the earliest opportunity, but knew that if we moved too early, we'd be done for. Leaning back in the chair for comfort my attention moved between the radar image and Bella and her nimble fingers removing the hard disk from the computer. Occasionally she would mutter and grumble under her breath. She'd shake her fingers to stop them from getting numb, but her concentration never wavered.

"Hey Bella?"

"Yeah?"

"Why do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"The job you do."

"Oh, I enjoy it, no day is the same, and I'm really doing something important, well it feels important. Not that any other job isn't important. But I go home at the end of the day and know I've done something to help my country. It's a worthwhile job, it feels right to me." She said with a shrug.

"I never looked at it like that, I always saw the analysts as some bookish little people routing about in basements and weedling information, I guess I need to apologise for that, you're right, it is important."

She turned to me and smiled before looking back at the computer and pulling the hard disk from its dock.

"It's not all gathering Intel Edward, I do real time aerial reconn and direct to team advisory for the teams too. Although I don't really talk about that."

I sat up straight and looked at her then.

"I knew I recognised your voice that day. You're 'Little Bird'! It's obvious now I see it. It was you that got my team out of that tight spot in the Carpathians with Jessica Stanley."

She laughed a tinkling gleeful laugh. "Oh I remember Miss Stanley, what a pain in the ass."

"You're telling me; at least you didn't have to carry her down that damn mountain."

"True, but then I would've made the stupid cow walk." She smirked.

"Damn, Emmett will flip when he finds out who you are, he was all for tracking you down and thanking you personally, but they..."

"Patched me through SOCOM so I couldn't be traced. I know."

Bella smiled and walked to the emergency bag, wrapping the disk in a waterproof ziplock baggie and securing it inside.

"How long do you think before we can make a run for it?"

"Few more hours, the search pattern is tight; we'll just have to hope for bad light, or weather. Get some sleep Bella, or something to eat, we may as well be comfortable for now."

She nodded and headed to the equipment cages. A minute or so later an object flew across the cabin towards me, I caught it easily. A granola bar. Bella sat back on her bunk and took a bite of her own.

"Eapht upf Efward," she gulped down the bite in her mouth, "We need to keep up our strength."

I sniggered at her talking with a full mouth, before unwrapping my own bar and biting into it. I groaned as the sugary treat hit my tongue. I had missed food these last few days and knew If I ate too many of these I'd be on a sugar high. I savoured every minute of it, it may only be a granola bar, but it was ambrosia at this moment. Bella had stretched out on the bunk; her long legs curled together, every curve of her lithe body accentuated in the figure hugging wet suit. She dozed lightly snoring.

"My mom would love you." I mumbled under my breath. "I think I would too."



1 comment:

  1. oh
    my
    god!
    SO good, can't wait for the next chapter!
    FinS x

    ReplyDelete